sorry for a gross question...

I had my baby on Dec 25, at the hospital I was told that vaginal bleeding can last up to 10 days and it soppouse to go from dark red to bright red to pink then it sould stop. I know its only been 5 days but its not getting lighter in fact it's red/brown in color and it has like sour milk smell, is that normal?
my Dr. is on vocation so i can't even ask him...

Asked by Albi1623 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you or baby????

• I don't recall that smell, but I did bleed heavily for a while. Ask your doctor's nurse. I would definitely ask someone, because that sounds a little unusual.

Answer by heather.huckaby at 9:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• baby is the hormones leaving the body totally normal bleeding 10 days ssshhhh i wish i bleed for 3 months

• Vaginal bleeding after childbirth can actually up to 10 WEEKS (or more...different drs have different amounts of time they consider normal). After my c-section in March I didn't totally stop bleeding until 8 weeks post partum. The bright red lasted at least a full week. I passed a lot of small clots too. I can't remember there being a smell issue though.

Congrats on your little Christmas gift!!

Answer by Fourbymom at 9:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i had that happen and come to find out that part of the placinta or however you spell that was still in there or it was a really big blood clot i know this is gross but it was huge but after i passed it i regained energy also stopped bleeding a couple days later and felt ten times better the doc still doesnt know what it was it was a one in a million kinda things i guess but if your doc isnt in then go to the er cause it could mean an infection

Answer by bugbug07 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• mine did that, just be careful because it can and will get heavier after being light so don't switch to your panty liners quite yet.

Answer by julipickle at 11:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Mine as well did that... I actually bled very heavily for 28 days... I didn't think I would ever stop bleeding. I thought I was going to die from it.. didn't think a person could bleed that much!!! The only time I would start to worry is if you are passing enormous sized clots, or starting to have fevers!

Answer by ali_1107 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I bled for 5 weeks with this baby, and it did smell really gross at first. Call your doctor anyway if you're worried. S/he should have an answering service and someone can get back to you.

Answer by degsyuna at 11:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• congrats on your new little one! i bled on and off for a month...its normal. the thing you need to be concered about the most is passing blot clots. if they are larger than a quarter call your doc immediately

Answer by Aurorasmom at 12:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• they soo bull shitted you on saying it only lasts 10 days..mine said up to 6 weeks..we are all different and yours Could last 10 days..or 6-10 weeks..its all normal. its the period from hell!

Answer by tnteaton at 1:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2008