sorry for a gross question...

I had my baby on Dec 25, at the hospital I was told that vaginal bleeding can last up to 10 days and it soppouse to go from dark red to bright red to pink then it sould stop. I know its only been 5 days but its not getting lighter in fact it's red/brown in color and it has like sour milk smell, is that normal?
my Dr. is on vocation so i can't even ask him...

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you or baby????
    Anonymous

• I don't recall that smell, but I did bleed heavily for a while. Ask your doctor's nurse. I would definitely ask someone, because that sounds a little unusual.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 9:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• baby is the hormones leaving the body totally normal ....you bleeding 10 days ssshhhh i wish i bleed for 3 months
    Anonymous

• Vaginal bleeding after childbirth can actually up to 10 WEEKS (or more...different drs have different amounts of time they consider normal). After my c-section in March I didn't totally stop bleeding until 8 weeks post partum. The bright red lasted at least a full week. I passed a lot of small clots too. I can't remember there being a smell issue though.

Congrats on your little Christmas gift!!
    Fourbymom

Answer by Fourbymom at 9:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i had that happen and come to find out that part of the placinta or however you spell that was still in there or it was a really big blood clot i know this is gross but it was huge but after i passed it i regained energy also stopped bleeding a couple days later and felt ten times better the doc still doesnt know what it was it was a one in a million kinda things i guess but if your doc isnt in then go to the er cause it could mean an infection
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• mine did that, just be careful because it can and will get heavier after being light so don't switch to your panty liners quite yet.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 11:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Mine as well did that... I actually bled very heavily for 28 days... I didn't think I would ever stop bleeding. I thought I was going to die from it.. didn't think a person could bleed that much!!! The only time I would start to worry is if you are passing enormous sized clots, or starting to have fevers!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I bled for 5 weeks with this baby, and it did smell really gross at first. Call your doctor anyway if you're worried. S/he should have an answering service and someone can get back to you.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 11:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• congrats on your new little one! i bled on and off for a month...its normal. the thing you need to be concered about the most is passing blot clots. if they are larger than a quarter call your doc immediately
    Aurorasmom

Answer by Aurorasmom at 12:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• they soo bull shitted you on saying it only lasts 10 days..mine said up to 6 weeks..we are all different and yours Could last 10 days..or 6-10 weeks..its all normal. its the period from hell!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2008