sorry for a gross question...

I had my baby on Dec 25, at the hospital I was told that vaginal bleeding can last up to 10 days and it soppouse to go from dark red to bright red to pink then it sould stop. I know its only been 5 days but its not getting lighter in fact it's red/brown in color and it has like sour milk smell, is that normal?
my Dr. is on vocation so i can't even ask him...

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• it should dark red, brown maybe even purple, and he said 10 days. He forgot to tell you it can last for alot longer than 10 days ( mine was 5 weeks). Now if it's bright red then you should call a doctor, because the bleeding is suppose to be "old blood" bright red could be a sign of infection. As for the smell again it could also be a sign of infection.
    Anonymous

• yeah its normal w/ my 2nd i bled bright red for like 2 weeks it seemed before it started getting lighter.......and the amniotic fluid coming out has a weird Oder so ur ok

Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Yea my bleeding lasted for a good 6 weeks. Now they said that's normal for some women HOWEVER if your soaking more then one pad in less then an hour or you have blood clots that are bigger then a grapefruit then you should be worried. I had normal dark red, then redish brown, then bright red and it was all kinds of funky but again they checked me out I was fine. However they should have a nurse on call at the hospital that you can call, just to double check and she would tell you to come in to the ER or not, that's what they did me. But remember don't freak out your probably fine. =)
    Mrs.Wills

Answer by Mrs.Wills at 9:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Strange that they would tell you only 10 days. Mine lasted almost 8 weeks (I am a bleeder apparently) but usually they tell you to prepare for 6 weeks.
    But I agree with with everyone else... Call the nurse hotline or the on call doctor and talk to them. Do you not have a 6 day postpartum appointment?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• They are idiots for telling you it only lasts 10 days. Women rarely only bleed for 10 days. Try more like 2-8 WEEKS.
    Next time birth at home with a knowledgable midwife. Who knows what other lies the hospital told you?
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 10:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I bled for almost 7 weeks, and then went a week and a half with nothing and then had my first period. And unfortunately, it did smell kind of funky but they told me it would have a slight tinge and odor but not to be alarmed. But if you have questions you should always call but everything your describing sounds normal to me.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 10:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I bled for almost 7 weeks with my first. My dr said it was normal and not to worry unless I passed a clot larger then a lemon. Also they describe the smell as "fleshy" and say that's normal.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 1:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice blood clots in the blood. I just had my baby on the 19th, and I had heavy bleeding that was red for the first few days. Then it stopped being to heavy, but still red... then it got to be slightly brown and light, now it is back to being red and mild flow.

My doctor said to not worry unless I see a blood clot bigger than the size of a dollar coin...which I haven't seen any.
    Good Luck! I can't wait to stop bleeding either! lol
    NinaSay

Answer by NinaSay at 5:32 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• It is normal. Every woman and pregnancy is different. With my first I bled for like 9 days, the second over a month, and number 3 I had complications but stopped after about 2 weeks. You might bleed brighter red if you do too much too soon, that was why I bled so much with #2. I had a one yr old and was always running. Just relax and if it's bothering you a lot call the hospital where you delivered or the dr that is covering while your is gone.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 12:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2008