Is there a way to have a laptop that can travel with you anywhere and still have internet access?

I'm wanting to get a laptop that I can take places with me and have internet with it. But is that possible? Do I need special equipment?

wmjsease

Asked by wmjsease at 9:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Entertainment

• Yes ma'am it is possible. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but my friend has it. I believe cell phone companys have them, maybe even best buy. It's like a wireless card or something that goes in your PC.
    Anonymous

• You need a wireless card. Your connection will depend on where the wireless towers are located. There are many areas that you will not be able to get a connection due to the location of a tower.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• most laptops have wireless network cards in them. If where you go has a unsecured wireless connection, you can get online with it. Lots of places are also offering wireless internet now too. McDonalds, Denny's, hotels, etc.
    Anonymous

• Get wireless connection and go to places that have WiFi.
    Anonymous

• You can buy a wireless card, it's like a usb plug in. You can get it from most cell providers. It's about $50 a month.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 10:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Not only do you need a wireless card, you need service.Otherwise the card is like having a phone without a phone number. Some places have free wi-fi, and you can find those locations online.

There are services you can pay for...wireless providers are the most frequent carriers. I believe verizon has a nationwide wireless internet network, but I'm not positive on that...you'll need to check. There will be a monthly service fee for it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think there is isnt that what wireless internet is for?
    SexySeevers

Answer by SexySeevers at 2:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• qdiamante is correct. Verizon Wireless is our cell phone company and we went in to find out about this service so my husband could use his computer online when he goes places that do not offer WiFi or any sort of wireless internet services.
    Even though his laptop has a wireless card inside, he would still need to purchase a small piece of equipment to plug into the computer whenever he needed internet access and pay a monthly fee equivalent to a monthly cell phone bill.
    We decided not to get it - it's more trouble than it's worth.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:28 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My laptop is a few years old and has a wireless card built in so I can pick up wireless anywhere with wifi. You can buy a card for your laptop if you don't already have one...but most (if not all) newer laptops have them. You can also buy one from your cell company...you get wireless anywhere you have signal on your phone.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2008