What do you think of parents who refuse to throw birthday parties for their kids (3 and 5) not because of religious reasons, just b/c they don't want to be bothered?

They have a cake and presents for their kids, but don't want to be bothered with other people and their kids. So no parties and probably will never. I think she is lazy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• *shrug* It's their choice. I don't think badly of them or anything. Parents aren't obligated to throw kid parties every year. As long as their bdays are recognized in their own families it's not a big deal.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 12:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Seems like your sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.
    SherrieMomof2

Answer by SherrieMomof2 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Lazy is very judgemental term IMO... I have birthday parties for my kids, but not every year. I don't think it's nessesary every year and sometimes I just can't afford it or have too many other things going on. But every year we always have a cake and gifts and the family comes over to hang out. nothing fancy. I feel like you may be judging to easily..... you may not know all the reasons why their not doing it, they may be telling you that because they don't want to discuss the real reasons.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 12:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Really are you serious? Wow, judgemental are we? You are acting like the world is going to end because a child doesn't have their friends come over for their birthday. From your post I can see that THEY DO HAVE A PARTY FOR THE CHILDREN, it is with THEIR family. If you would like to purchase something for the child then do so, drop it by or send a card in the mail. People are not required to invite all of their family and friends for a birthday. How about you grow up a little, you seem to be more bothered by it then probably the children are. My parents never threw huge parties for us, it was just my mom, dad, sister and brother with a homemade cake, and most likely sloppy joes for dinner, and guess what...... I LOVED IT!

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 1:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• I think that's their business. My SIL and brother don't do parties - they do a "family" party with cake and presents, and then they go on a mini vacation with their family - to the zoo, to the beach for overnight, etc. and I don't see anything wrong with it. Different families mark occasions in different ways, if a family wants to spend time with just their family, then that's their business.

Answer by missanc at 12:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• I think it is a personal choice. I had a party where we invited friends, family, classmates, etc for my son from his 1st birthday to his 6th birthday. This year, he will be 7 and I think we are just going to do a family party and do something special that he wants to do.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Birthday parties are expensive, and many parents cannot afford them. Parents have the right to decide for themselves and their children whether or not to have parties. Not having a party does NOT make them lazy.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• "That they suck as parents"

Oh wow.... I guess I suck as a parent then. What a disgusting comment.
    Forget the fact that I shower them with love with affection all year. Who cares if I'm always there for them? No, that's nothing if I don't throw the party of the year for their birthdays.
    You really have a crappy definition of "sucking at parenting"....

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• maybe they cant afford them. that doesnt make them lazy though. growing up i didnt have alot of parties, not because my mom was lazy but because we couldnt afford them. dont judge unless you know the situation. also their are alot of people that like their kids but cant handle other peoples kids.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• scout_mom : the parents DO have cake and presents for the children.. it's not that they aren't recognizing the childrens birthday, it's that they dont' feel like catering to other peoples children during THEIR CHILDS birthday. PLEASE read the question right before posting a reply!
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2011