How long can you go without paying your mortgage before you get kicked out of the house?

A friend just lost his job a few months ago and since then hasn't been able to make the mortgage payment, the company won't do anything to help him and he won't be able to pay it again until he gets a new job. I believe he hasn't paid in 3 or 4 months, how long before he gets the notice that he has to leave?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• it depends on whoever they got the loan through, it will be in the paperwork how long they have before it is foreclosed and once that process starts it would be a few weeks or a few months before they get an eviction notice
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• He wont have much longer. They will only allow a couple of months to go by with no payment before they take action.
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• After 3-4 months they file for forclosure... once that happens most companys wont take just one payment they want all the back money... but after they file the forclosure it oculd take some where around 18 months before they actually get you out.... and there are lawyers that can make that process even longer.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 1:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• In most cases MONTHS and for some even YEARS. At this point the process is long and convoluted. Maybe your friend qualifies for a new program from the federal government, he should check into that.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• my bfs parents are 4 months behind on theirs and they havent been kicked out.. it just depends
    MOMMY2BE0786

Answer by MOMMY2BE0786 at 1:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• I'm reading the other posts... and their saying much faster... but my state is longer and my father had a forclosure in florida and he lived there for almost 2 years after they filed the forclosure. maybe its different in the states.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 1:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• They took ours in four months.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• My mom went 2 years. Then they decided to rent it to her, for half the price, until someone bought it. It was fsbo finance though.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Different for each state and loan company. My brother just lost his. It took over 1 year, he just moved out. I know for sure if he has kids living in the house with him that delays it as they do not want kids living in the streets.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Depends on the state: for example CA is 90 days no pay no contact they start eviction process. Then it takes additional 21 days before you would receive eviction notice. Although this is not happening right now because the banks have so many of these right now that they do not have the man power to process them. I am a Realtor here in CA and I just short sold a home that the owner did not make a payment for 2 years.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2011