Can fleas travel in an apartment building!??

I live in an upstairs apartment of what used to be a whole house. Our downstairs neighbor has sneaked a dog in downstairs, we have a strict no pet policy, and I can hear it scratching itself all the time due to fleas. I have already informed my landlord, I believe he gave them a week to get rid of it, and the still have it. well my problem is now that a flea just jumped on me! I have fish, and no other animals! Can the fleas from the downstairs apartment be coming into my apartment, I have no idea how else I could have gotten them in mine!!!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 2:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Those pests go everywhere!!!

Answer by older at 2:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Get rid of the dog, and bomb the entire place
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• yes they can unfortunately if the space isn't properly closed off from the other apartment, and few houses converted to apartments are..

once the pet is gone the fleas should go away on their own within a week to a months time.. but you can look into having your landlord get a bomb or other flea killers to remove them, although it can be dangerous so be sure you discuss what kind he will use and what it means you have to do (such as removing all food from your house, and kids and other pets, etc).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Fleas can live in a home for a very long time even without the presence of an animal. They can feed off of you, and once they reproduce they are very hard to get rid of. You should tell your neighbors that you're going to bomb your apartment, and that they need to take care of the dog they have. I would also tell your landlord, and maybe then they will have to find a new home for the dog.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• My landlord has already told them to get rid of the dog. I'm not 100% they still have it but they did 2 days ago! My landlord said that they have to pay to get rid of the fleas, although I'm not sure of what all I have to do to prepare for that and where we will go while its being done :(
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Just make sure you seal anything up that you don't want the fog to get into, and wash all of your dishes no matter what after. It works, but it goes everywhere.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Yes they can be carried on clothes too.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 2:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2011