Does anyone elses infant have Acid Reflex & Milk Soy Protein Intolerance?

My son has both of these and is on Zantac and on Alimentum Formula and still tends to spit up and sometimes throw up. Just wondering if there is a better formula out there for these problems.

DJMsmom

Asked by DJMsmom at 10:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i was sent home with milk formula.. i didnt use it til about four months, i nursed clear up til then, and then went to the formula.. but then i didnt like what it did to him.. gas, tummy aches, crabby baby, so i switched him to soy, similac isomil advance... he is so much better.. no gas other than normal baby gas, but not that deep intestinal gas. He has slept thru the night for a long time.. his first four weeks I slept on the couch with him, while he slept in his carseat, my ped said that that would help alot... sure enough it did.. it allows for the muscle (esophagus) to strengthen so that when baby sleeps they wont hurt.. also, i put my son on his tummy to sleep, that also helps... Good luck
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My daughter started out with Acid reflux when she was a newborn, we tried all sorts of formula's, but nothing really seemed to work. We tried soy, low iron, pregestimil ( did work for a little while) nuetramigin ... so on and so forth. So we stayed with nuetramigin, and she was on baby Zantac, and rice cereal bottles since she was 1 month old. Unfortuanately nothing seemed to help, she would still vomit up all of her feedings until she was almost 2 and a half years old! Her acid reflux has now turned into eshphogitis... But ever since she started her new medicine we haven't had any more problems with the violent vomiting episodes.. she now is on Prevacid 15 mg. 2 times daily. If anything else doesn't help just make sure you keep his crib elevated so the reflux can't really come up, and maybe talk to your ped about pregestimil!! Best of luck!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My son has a pretty moderate case of acid reflux. They told me he had "colic" and they gave me the alimentum formula (which smells like cheese its) and he was on that for 1 week. He lost 6 0z and ended up in the hospital at 3 weeks. They diagnosed him with reflux. The docs started him on prevacid (solu tabs) one every morning and 1 tbs of rice cereal per once of formula. He is still on that and he is doing soooo much better! he was a different baby about a week later. One doctor who wasn't his primary tried to put him on the Zantac and my son hated it! My primary doctor got kinda upset and said that most babies hate that medicane because it taste like peppermint oil and burns they toungues that's why they hate it. so he took him off
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 12:10 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My littlt Meg does the same thing except she grunt and turns bright red in the face, she has re poops.It has even affected he sleep thr grunt like she is in pain. She is on Zantac twice a day If any one ca n help I would very much aqppreciate it.
    THANKS KATHY
    Gran1954

Answer by Gran1954 at 1:11 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Oh my word - my firstborn threw up any and all formula that was given to her! It was so horrible! Even the stinky, nasty soy formula (Isomil). I can't remember what she finally ended up on that ceased her throwing up, but her little body finally accepted it and she began to gain weight.
    Propping up her crib mattress helped a bit.
    She didn't have acid reflux, although she has GERD now as an adult.
    What she had was lactose intolerance and is still intolerant to this day.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My dd has milk, soy protien allergy since she was 2 weeks old. She is 7 and still cant have any dairy or she will break out and have and asthma attack. Anywhoo, If its a milk allergy you probably cannot feed your LO any other type of formula, since all others have the milk/soy protiens, but you could add rice or something to it to make it thicker.
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 7:58 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• my dd was diagnosed at 5 weeks with reflux and milk/soy allergies. she was put on zantac twice a day and it helped. the only formula that she could keep down was nutramigen (sp) evreything else she would retch it all up. she still spit up more than a normal baby but was able to keep most of it down. we took her off the meds when she was 8 months old and her allergies cleared up by the time she was 1.
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 8:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Neocate! It is soy and milk free-this is the ONLY thing that was able to "settle" on Josef's stomach. Neocate is VERY expensive, but your insurance will most likely cover it (you will have to ask your doc for it) or if you are on WIC they will cover it. Josef had a severe case of GERD, we actually treated it until a few months ago-he was almost five. PM me anytime! Good luck!
    Josef1129

Answer by Josef1129 at 8:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2008