Are the lamaz classes important or can I do without?

Just trying to figure out if I should take the classes. I'm sure they would be helpful but do I really need to? If anyone has taken those classes before what was your opion of them and would you recommend it?

Lizzie32390

Asked by Lizzie32390 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• We took the Lamaz classes. They were informative. DH def. learned about how to massage for back labor which we both felt was the biggest thing we learned at the time. When DH had a bad bike wreck(road rash head to toe) he found himself using Lamaz breathing to cope with the pain until the ER could get some demerol on board. Same thing when he broke his leg. I have found myself in a painful situation and used the techniques to relax. Bottom line is if you work with the pain(any pain) instead of fight it it'sd easier to cope. So, No, we never regretted taking the classes.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I took the classes and they really helped with my pain management during labor. I loved it. But they aren't mandatory. I only have one other friend that went to the classes herself, everyone else managed to do without them. I'll definitely be doing them again.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It depends on your learning style. If you need a group setting with an instructor to show you breathing methods, then go for it. It's good to go into labor prepared. But there's nothing out there that says you've got to take XY&Z classes, or you don't graduate into Laborhood. There are other techniques you can use as well, have ever heard of The Bradley Method?
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 12:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• there nice to go to it gives you an idea of what's to come
    jojomommy

Answer by jojomommy at 12:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Its all up to you! It was a lot of fun for my husband and i! we learned a lot and it helped us get through labor! its up you! Im sure you can do without them! most people do! good luck and congrats
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I never took one and everything turned out just fine. You could read some books on it...that's what I did.
    Mumjen2

Answer by Mumjen2 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It was fun to take the classes, but honestly, my husband benefitted more than I did. When I was in labor there were complications that had me confined to the bed, so I couldn't use the techniques I learned. It was beneficial for my husband because he knew enough about labor and breathing to stay calm and help me cope with the changes in my labor plan. I definitely don't regret taking the classes. It helped my hubby and we met some friends who were having babies around the same time as us.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• i didnt do them and didnt miss it durring labor
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I didn't reagret taking the class, but I truly didn't end up retaining or using much of the info in my personal experience
    Caitlynsmommy07

Answer by Caitlynsmommy07 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I did the classes on DVD b/c I did not have a partner. They were great! I retained a lot of the terms the nurses and doc were throwing around the day of. I was informed on how different pain managers work and which procedures I would prefer. Loved it!
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 3:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2008