Are teachers no longer required to know how to spell simple words?

My daughter's teacher misspelled pretty (pritty) and behave (behaive). That's astonishing to me! These are basic words....am I right?

banana-bear

Asked by banana-bear at 3:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2011 in

• I homeschool now, but when my kids were in private school, my oldest son's 2nd grade teacher had ATROCIOUS spelling!! You should have seen the notes she sent home. Even sadder? I got a letter from my school district a few months ago, reminding me of the insane paperwork I need to send in to teach my own children at home, and the name of the school district was misspelled in the letterhead!! They make ME jump through ridiculous hoops in order to educate my OWN CHILDREN, and they can't even proofread the letters they send out?!? Oh the irony!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Yeah, I got a letter from my daughters teacher with quite a few words misspelled. It did stand out to me.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Sad isn't it? My son's 3rd grade teacher sent a note home to his friends, we counted six misspellings and at least that many grammar errors!

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 4:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• I could not agree more! I have a lot of issues with people who want to teach skills they can not master themselves. I say this as a former classroom teacher (now homeschool mom).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• I agree. Thankfully my son's teacher proofreads and spells correctly. I think it is funny when someone tells you they homeschool but can't spell or use correct grammar.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• My dd goes to a private school and one teacher had several typos on parent letters week after week. My dad photo copied a few and sent them anon to the principal and said it was a disgrace to the school and that more care was needed before stuff was sent out. That stuff is a reflection of the school. We are always doing PR to promote the school the last thing we need is bad grammar on parent letters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• That is pretty sad. I taught preschool, and was constantly double checking my spelling and grammar. If I wasn't sure about the spelling, I'd ask someone else, or I'd look it up. Of course, I am a bit of a perfectionist with things like that. I truly believe that our spelling, grammar, they way we speak, etc. is a representation of ourselves. I'm not so extreme as to go around pointing it out in oh, say, the answers section, because I know I make mistakes. I'm not perfect. But goodness, if you're teaching my child, you should know basic spelling!
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 5:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• I agree with another poster here...The teacher may be an atrocious speller, but a terrific teacher...I saw this over and over with my colleagues..

I would suggest this:

1. Overlook it...

2. If it bothers you so much, go to the school secretary.  Say politely,  I see spelling errors on this note...May I get your help in this????

3. If you are VERY brave and believe you can carry yourself with dignity -go to the teacher herself...

You will turn her off IIMMEDIATELY  if you are critical...and will not get the results you desire..  With kindness, you could get the results you want by using this fact: You are also a woman...
    Treat her as a fellow woman, suggest kindly and you will be happy, she will have learned in a positive way, and the other parents will benefit from your remaining calm..

VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 11:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2011

• My daughter's teachers have all have really good spelling and grammar. I received a few e-mail replies from teachers in other districts when I was going for my fields and wowzers.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2011

• Cringe!
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2011