Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should i worry? baby put things in his mouth.

yesterday at the mall, i looked away for a second and then i saw something in my 1 year old son's mouth. he had gum in his mouth! and i quickly took it out of his mouth. it must have been someone else's chewed gum that was spit out. and today, i think he bit a rice sized piece of his abc foam mat at home and swallowed it. i'm a first time mom and freaking out that he could get some disease from the gum he had in his mouth and that he'll have some digestive issue from the tiny peice of mat he likely swallowed. help! tia!

Answer Question
 
shinbi

Asked by shinbi at 10:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • The risk of your child getting an infectious disease from the gum is very very very low. In fact...don't worry about it.


     The mat issue should be fine also. As long as he continues to have bowel movements with no crying or pain and he's eating well, then no worries.


     I would also suggest taking an infant/child CPR class. It may make you feel better about any emergencies that may arise.

    Southerncharmes

    Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • awe. My son used to eat his fose (Spl?) balls when he was that age.
    No your fine =) Kids are alot tougher than we think!
    He will be okay
    ReadyToRage

    Answer by ReadyToRage at 10:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • well most things die after a period of time... kids are going to eat stuff.. and the worst part, they will do it right in front of you... they did a recent study and they said that the dirtiest thing in a mall or store was the shopping cart.. not the handle, but the seat where babies sit.. now is the time to start the word no, and yucky.. he's no stupid, he will learn what it means, you will have to watch him, but i wouldnt worry about the gum, if it was going to make him sick it would have by now.. if your unsure and want a doctors opinion, i would call his Ped and see what they have to say..
    sweetscrappin

    Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • Time to get down to his level - literally on your hands and knees in your home - and search for anything he can and will put into his mouth and swallow. Take a toilet paper tube with you. If the item/object can fit through the toilet paper tube then put it out of his reach. If there are items (e.g. foam mattress) that he can pick and pull apart into pieces then either remove them or cover them with childproof covers. They make zippered mattress covers.
    In public places you will just have to keep him in your sight at all times, in your arms, or secured in a stroller.
    He will still find things to swallow and there isn't much you can do except to inspect your home frequently, but keep an eye on him in the event he swallows something poisonous or starts to choke - learn first aid now and place the poison control number next to the phone.
    PrydferthMenyw

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:53 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Toddlers (1-2)
Toddler Beds

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
No bashing please.