Has anyone heard of a baby getting a spinal tab???? This does not sound safe!!

My grandson was ammited to the hospital for 2 day last week were they took blood from him and did the spinal tab (stuck a needle in his spine and removed fluid) Do to this he has a massive lump on his spine

HeatherSwank

Asked by HeatherSwank at 6:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2011 in Kids' Health

• is this common??
    HeatherSwank

Comment by HeatherSwank (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• How old is he and why did they do it? My nephew was almost one when he had a spinal tap done. He had meningitis.

DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 6:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• It's not terribly uncommon. They use a pediatric or neonatal needle to extract the fluid. Why did they do the test, if you don't mind me asking?
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 6:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Spinal TAP. You can google it, it's the ONLY way to diagnose a variety of things sadly
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• They only do spinal taps if it is necessary. Spinal taps are serious business, so they don't go sticking people in the spine with a needle like they would an IV or drawing blood (something routine). I'm sure they had a good reason to do this to a little baby.
    I had a spinal tap in high school. I was admitted with strange symptoms that they couldn't find the cause of with routine exams. The symptoms were very similar to meningitis so they did a spinal tap. Turns out I was fine, it was most likely a reaction to a medication I was on. My lower back was kind of sore the next day, but it wore off alright.
    Let the doctor know about the lump, see what he has to say. I don't remember the list of possible things that could occur due to the spinal tap - the list is not exactly short.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 6:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• He had a fever of 103.1 and was out of it.( not moving or playing) just slumped over.. He is 4 Months On the 11th All The test came back Normal even that one but now we are worried he may be parilized, and He Has a Massive lump did yours?
    HeatherSwank

Comment by HeatherSwank (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• and this was one of the first tests they did!!!
    HeatherSwank

Comment by HeatherSwank (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Why would you be worried he is paralyzed? Is he not moving at all? As far as the lump goes, have you or his parents mentioned it to his pediatrician?
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 6:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• he used to kick his legs non stop not anymore does he do this. and for the lump his pediatrician said "it will go away, He will be just fine"
    HeatherSwank

Comment by HeatherSwank (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Since meningitis is such a serious illness in babies and can be deadly if not caught right away, this is one of the first things they test for if it is suspected.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2011