Baptism to be Saved?

im just wondering why some Christians don't believe you need to be baptized to be saved. There are several verses in the Bible that call for it. Please, no bashing, im not judging, im just trying to learn about other denominations.

also, please list what denomination (or non) your church is.

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 11:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• i grew up baptist, but as adult, have gone to methodist, assembly of god, and now, presbyterian. in all of those churches, baptism was/is viewed as symbolic of death/resurrection..not a necessity to being saved. 'an outward testimony that you have been made a new creation inwardly'..so to speak. just like wedding rings symbolizes marriage, the rings don't make the marriage..
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think it is def. denominations. I would like to know where it says you have to be baptised first to be saved. Baptismal to me is a symbol and not your salvation. I am baptist if that helps. We do believe that you should be baptised but that is not what saves you.
    proudmom2x

Answer by proudmom2x at 11:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I am a baptist, and we believe that your salvation comes from christ alone. Baptism is an act of obedience, we do it as a way to show our obedience.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 11:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think is should be a choice. My son was baptized at birth, but my husband's family pressured me because my husband was catholic. Well, after the LONG classes that we had to take, I learned that the reason WHY they do it is to also remind the parents of the PROMISE and commitment to God to raise their children up in the church and the catholic faith. I am now divorced and my ex NEVER went to church, but I have still kept my promise and I am raising my son up in our church (not catholic, but still Christian). I never got my daughter baptized, but I was baptized in my church by choice. I don't think you need to be baptized to be saved, but I do believe that the memory of the event has kept me mindful of my commitments to God and for that, I think it has been worth it. Hope that answers your question.
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 11:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• the reason im asking is b/c i grew up in the Church of Christ & their big thing is baptism. but w/ the new year my DH & i are looking for a "new" church b/c we aren't happy with the ones in our area. here are some of the verses ive been fed as a kid.
    Mark 1:4 John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
    Romans 6:4 Therefore we have been buried w/ Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised we too might walk in newness of life.
    Act 2:38 Peter said to them, "Repent & each of you be baptized in the name of Christ for the forgiveness of your sins"
    Acts 19:4 "John baptized w/ the baptism of repentence"
    thru reading some of these ive seen how they can be taken out of context. thats why im interested in what others think about these verses.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• oh yeah, i went to an episcopalian church for two years, and same story as the others i attended. purely symbolic, important, but symbolic.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Baptism is a way to tell everyone "Here I am stepping out physically showing that I Am Christs Child.. And From that point giving my life to him.. " But I believe Spirtually you can be saved way before that!
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 1:02 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I don't believe you NEED to do anything to be "saved". Baptism should be an act of faith, or an act of commitment, not an act of "must do's".
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I agree with most everyone here that baptism does not "save" you. Believing in Christ and having a relationship with Him is what saves you.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Actually, i'm agnostic, but my daughters father is christian and wanted our daughter baptised... which I wasn't against... so we went to his grandfather who is a decan at a Baptist church to have him set things up. I liked what they did... they dedicated my daughter rather than baptise her... kinda like insurance... and later when she is older she can choice if she is baptised or not... I like that it gave HER a choice, which is really what I wanted, but that she will still be saved. If that makes sense.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2008