What's the deal with a new scrubby/sponge being "damp"?

Ok, so it's bugged me for years..... We bought bulk packages of Scotch Heavy Duty dish sponges/scrubbies some time last year....
Every time I open a new one it seems to be "damp"... what's the deal? Package was never in contact w/moisture, acutally has been kept in a sealed storage container on shelf due to the occasional pest issue in the basement... But come on... after "years" of being in a package,,,, it's still damp? Do they treat them with something when they are made or what?

frasermom23

Asked by frasermom23 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I have wondered the same thing and will be standing by to see the answers. I have noticed that they have never molded in the package so surely they treat them with something.
    proudmom2x

Answer by proudmom2x at 11:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• yup, i believe they treat them with some sort of antibacterial substance...it needs to stay somewhat moist also so that it won't get stiff and tear apart.

at least that's what i think, lol ;)
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 11:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• they come that way on purpose. iheartsquishies gave the best answer
    Anonymous

• The sponges we buy have always been moist when opened. I always assumed they were supposed to be that way. At least the "good" sponges are. I used to but the really cheap ones when I was poor and they are as hard as a rock when opened.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:53 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I agree with heartsquishies also.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 12:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2008