If you have talked to your kids about sex,what did you focus on? adult content

Scientifically

Spiritually

Emotionally

All of the above

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 8:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I guess Scietifically.

Answer by louise2 at 8:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• My DD is 9 and I just had the first of I'm sure many talks with her a couple weeks ago. I started by asking her how much she already knew, then went from there. I didn't go into dirty details, she's still a bit young for that. But I did get into the emotional side of it with her. Explained how bad it can hurt, and how much it can ruin your life if you arent very careful about who you trust. And that includes her friends who tell her things about sex. I told her they dont know near as much as they try to sound like they do. And, of course, ended it with how she can always talk to me or ask me any questions she has. No matter how embarrassing.
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 8:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Thus far my focus has been more on the physical/scientific... but at this stage my kids are young to grasp the emotional/spiritual aspects of sex and relationships. The oldest is nine, the middle one is seven, and the youngest is four and a half, so they are not really in the stage of relationships or love yet.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• All of the above - what I didn't focus on was that if HIS mom says you can do whatever you want at her house it doesn't make it okay - which is why my 16 year old is expecting. Her boyfriend's mom basically told them they could do whatever and then got mad when she got pregnant. That woman is a complete idiot!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• The scientific for the most part, they are 10 and 11, but the emotional and spiritual will be expanded upon very shortly as they mature and are ready to handle it. (neither of them are really into the opposite sex yet)

Answer by missanc at 10:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Most recently it's been Consequences- (we covered the science of it from the very beginning)

Their dad has a daughter with two kids by two different men and hasn't been married yet. She's a bit of a bed hopper.
    My kids know she holds the kids ransom for CS. And the Dads come and go at will, without consideration for the kids.
    I keep telling them that if/when they have sex if it isn't with a worthy person they are either going (my son) to end up being the dad to kids with a mom like that or (the girls) they are going to end having men impregnate them and then leave the way her BFs did.
    14, 12, 10
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• My oldest is only 5. We haven't gotten in to the emotional end simply because he's not at a point where all that makes much sense. And my spirituality simply promotes a healthy sexuality. So at this point I simply explained the "science" of it. Once he's 7 or 8 I'll go in to the emotional end of it and explain to him what we expect of him when he does feel he's ready (which I'm sure won't be that early of course).

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2011

• My daughter's only 6 so we're still on the love (emotional) and kissing/hugging (scientific) and that we want her to be married before she gets pregnant (could be considered spiritual). She is, imo, too young to know anything more than that yet. We don't hide the concept of sex from her though and we do answer any questions she has. She's never asked where babies come from though.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 1:02 AM on Sep. 10, 2011

• We have always been very open and answer questions as they come up rather than do the "sit down and talk about the birds and bees". We also live on a farm, so they are all aware of the "scientific" part of sex.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 7:40 AM on Sep. 10, 2011

• Biology, contraceptives, STDs, pregnancy, abortion, resources via Planned Parenthood or their doctor, knowing when one is ready, the value in waiting to have sex, components of a healthy relationship.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2011