Help! I think I am depressed, but I don't know what is wrong with me, or how to go about asking my doctor.

I am really ashamed to ask this, but I think I need help. I think I have postpartum depression, but the thing is, my son is 3 months old, so it seems a little late for it. But I sometimes get so angry, I am afraid that some day I just might get pushed to far, and I don't know what i might do. I am terrified that if I ask for help, i'll get judged a bad mother, or even worse, have my child taken away! But I can look past all of that, because my child is the most important thing, and I want the best for him, but I am scared. I just want this terible cycle to end. I was diagnosed bi-polar a few years ago, and took medication. But I am breastfeeding my son, and I probably can't take medication now. Please, anyone with advice? I have an OB visit next week, and don't know what to say to my doctor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Health

• DO NOT feel ashamed for asking. You should just be upfront and honest with your doctor. They are used to seeing postpartum and being bipolar you are probably more likely to suffer from postpartem depression anyways. And 3 months is not too long, I have known many woman who have suffered for 6 months or more. Bottomline honey you are doing the right thing by not ignoring it as just normal hormones. TALK to your doctor there are safe medications to take while breastfeeding, I suffer from clinical depression and took meds while breastfeeding both of my daughters... So GOOD LUCK to you and feel free to send me a message if you just want to rant. I'm usually always around online somewhere :)
    mrssfoster

Answer by mrssfoster at 11:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Girl, never be ashamed. What you just wrote is definately at sign of depression. There is nothing wrong with that. You will just have to go to the Dr. and talk to her or him about your symptoms. They will then probably talk to you about medications. It's okay, sometimes everyone needs help at some point in their life. This is a serious situation though, please act fast and get the help you need.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Print out your question just the way you posted it and hand it to your doctor!!! I felt the exact same way after the birth of my first child. I didn't know what to do. I will tell you that the first thing my OB wanted to do was put me on meds and like you, I didn't want meds because I was worried about the breast milk. She then gave me a list of councelors in my area that offered FREE postpartum councelling to all moms. I found that very helpful. I was in a group setting (I only went for a month and it helped) but I found out from other moms in the same situation that those thoughts and feelings I had were normal and hormone related and that as long as I "didn't act out on those feelings and thoughts" I would be okay and get over it. It really helped to talk to other moms about it. Good luck. Lots of hugs for you
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 11:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• 1. YES, you CAN take medication while breastfeeding. There are very few meds that are unsafe. Bi-polar meds are trickier but there ARE options. You can find ratings on all your meds on the Nat'l Institutes Of Health's Lact-Med database.

2. You tell the doctor EXACTLY what you've written here. Word for word. Print it out, hand it to the doc. Trust me, they've read and heard FAR worse.

3. NO, you will NOT be judged a bad mother for asking for help, YOU will only be a bad mom of you hurt the kids because you didn't get the help you need. The ONLY bad mother is the one who beats her baby. That's it, end of story.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Read the book brooke sheilds wrote,,,,,,,,,,,it is a good story.....really,,,,,,it is common,,buy it at half.com it is cheaper,,,,,ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,give me your address if you cant afford it i will buy it for you
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 6:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Please call your Dr. ASAP she/he can help there is nothing to be ashamed of .No sleep and hormones will mess with the best of us
    Diamant

Answer by Diamant at 11:47 AM on Dec. 31, 2008