When does a child move from the baby car seat?

my son is 6 months and weighs 24 lbs.. in 12 & 18 month clothing he is a big boy-- he's cramed in his car seat-- how long until you move them? obviously, he is still much to small.. but what is the age or website to look? nothing is popping up for me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• i moved mine at around 1 or 1 and a hf yrs old because he was a big boy too. i just went by the weight on the car seats....
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• in most states they have to be 20lbs AND 1 year old to face forward. look into a convertable seat that will let you keep him rear until he hits a year. some moms keep them rear longer but i didn't i wouldnt wanna be squashed : (
    SCorbeau0616

Answer by SCorbeau0616 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• You can put him in a convertible carseat rearfacing. I take my kids out of the layback baby seat around 4 months. He is too big to be in a layback infant seat.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Every carseat has an acceptable range for both child weight and height - these are printed in their handbook. There is definitely some overlap between the infant and toddler carseats, but I can't remember the actual numbers right now. If you don't still have the handbook you should be able to get a copy on the manufacturer's website. There should be a sticker on the actual carseat with the model and any other identifiers the manufacturer needs to give you the right information. If all else fails online, just call them and ask.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Depends on the car seat. Some only hold up to 20 pounds. There is a car seat group here with lots and lots of information.  http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739/

DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 10:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Many infant carriers have a weight limit of 22-25 lbs. Legally, your child has to be 20 lbs AND 1 year old to forward-face. Since your child is 24 lbs and only 6 months old, you will have to get a convertible seat--one that stays installed in the car, can rear-face up to a certain weight, and then can forward-face with a 5-point harness up to a certain weight. Height requirements are more flexible: general rule of thumb is that the top of the head must be at least an inch from the top of the hard shell part of the seat when rear-facing, and the tops of the ears must be at least an inch from the top of the hard shell when forward-facing.

Other than the 1 yr AND 20 lbs law, there are no hard-and-fast rules other than guidelines for specific seats. Many parents turn their kids forward-facing at 1 year, new AAP and NTHSA guidelines say 2 years, some parents go to the weight/height limits of their seat.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Depends on the limits of the seat. The one we had with our older kids was 20lbs OR 26" which ever came first. The older 2 hit 26" at 4 months long before they hit the 20lbs weight limit, #3 hit the height limit at 6 months (my oldest didn't even hit 20lbs until she was 18 months). The seat we had with our 4th child went to 22lbs or 29". Again she hit the height limit long before the weight limit (I believe she was like 8 months).
    The seat we have now goes to 35lbs or 32". Our almost 14mo is 19lbs and 28" so he has a way to grow in it, still, even if he's too heavy to carry in it. We mostly just leave it in the car unless he's fallen asleep. We purposefully got this one to last until after he was one.
    Once they outgrow the infant seat they go to a rear facing convertible/toddler seat.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• i moved my son to a "bigboy" car seat at about 6 months. i did a month and a half of shopping before i bought. there are a few car seats out there that are stationary in the car, and convertible and weight limits start at 5lbs. i switched my son over with the plan that the infant carrier could still be used in the event that if the babysitter needed to go somewhere she had a car seat to do it, or my parents could still use it until they could buy one of their own. all i can tell you is the carseats are out there. shop shop shop.
    babymomma101110

Answer by babymomma101110 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
    http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=2964251
    babymomma101110

Answer by babymomma101110 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• There are new studies that say any child under twenty four months is dangerous. My pediatrician agrees w them too. I have a 18 mth and it's a pain but the bones and muscles in the neck do not mature till two. It really docent matter the weight it us about bone and muscle development.
    specmominmt

Answer by specmominmt at 11:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2011