Ignorant friend

one of my close friends is constantly down playing my child's illness. i try to overlook it. she will rationalize things in her mind...and i can see where it makes sense to her, but it will have little or no fact behind it. just ignorant speaking. i know her heart is in the right place, but it is really grating on my nerves lately. once when i was at her house, she even had her mother in on it. they were saying that nothing is wrong with him, he seems fine. he just doesn't like to talk. well...actually, he is almost three and for the most part, he CAN"T talk. i was talking to her today about his fits he has and she dismissed them, comparing them to her older child's behavior in school. not even close to the same ball park. my child is autistic with severe developmental delays. it's annoying when i encounter an ignorant stranger with a loud opinion, but this is even worse. any advice on handling this matter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• You should speak with her about how you feel. I have two childeren w special needs and have had the same problems. I think people do that because they think it helps us out. They think by down playing our kidsproblems we won't worry so much. People don't really understand what it's like to parent a special needs child. It's hard and can be overwhelming. Maybe your friend just dosent understand all of it. Talk with her tell her that it hurts for her to do that. How it makes you feel. If she's a good friend she will try to understand. Remember sometimes people can't handle the pressure of being around families like ours. Good luck
    specmominmt

Answer by specmominmt at 11:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• people are stupid sometimes im sorry
    jostock

Answer by jostock at 10:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• i would sit her down and let her know exactly how you feel. it's hard enough raising a child who has developmental complications, but the added stress of her ignorance will make it worse. i couldn't imagine what you go through with society now days. my son is 11 months old and i couldn't go a day without hearing his sweet little babble. it makes my heart hurt to know you don't have this joy. honestly, if she is truly your friend, she will understand your feelings on this and try to fix the wrong she is doing. the best of luck to you. you are in my prayers.
    babymomma101110

Answer by babymomma101110 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2011