How can i start potty trainning my little girl?

I bought my 16month old girl a potty today i sat her on it and she screamed i dont know how to start her on a potty can you help? When ever she takes her dipare off she will try to sit down on the carpet and pee not sit but like squat what do i do

VannasMom07

Asked by VannasMom07 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take her to the store and let her pick out and buy some pretty stickers and decorate her own potty. It will make it "hers" and give her a sense of ownership and she will be more likely to use it. As for my daughter, she HATED her potty and wanted to use MOMMY's potty. So I let her decorate our potty. Hey, whatever works!!
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 12:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I've been working on the potty with my DD since she turned 1 (she will be 16 mo this week). I bought the potty just to get her familiar with it - not to rush her into it. Every time I had to potty, I would take her and sit her on it and sing a "potty" song. I would also put her on it first thing in the morning and after her nap. She's already done pee in it several times (even asking to go sometimes) and she has pooped too. the day after Thanksgiving she asked to poo poo in the potty 3 times and 3 times she did. It's not always like this as we had several wks with no potty at all and even a few crying fits when I tried to sit her on it. I'm not as consistant as I should be or she may already have this down but today she did both in the potty after her nap and I was thrilled. I also give her a sticker EVERY time she goes but I NEVER reward her with stickers if she doesn't.
    VirgoMom807

Answer by VirgoMom807 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• She's a little young yet. But when I began training I bribed with m&m's. Lots of praise and positive tones, don't force. If she's upset by it, wait a couple of months and try again. Good luck!
    blessed11x

Answer by blessed11x at 12:11 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• my son is 12 months and uses the potty everyday. everychild is different . if she is ready you will know. my child goes to the potty and says a word that i cannot make out, but i know he has to use it. so i put him on it and he always goes. :) try transitioning to big girl panties!
    revigue

Answer by revigue at 1:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• At 16 months, if your child throws a fit, stop and wait a week and try again. I trained my son at 19 months in less than a week in August. They need to be naked from the waist down (no more diapers cold turkey!) and you need to be on the floor with them for 4-5 days with no distractions. As soon as they start to go, tell them what they are doing and where you would like them to put it, and sit them on the potty. Stay positive, giving lots of praise, rewards, treats, stickers, whatever you think would work for your child. Within three days, my son was using the potty by himself without prompting and had no more accidents. It's very simple, but it really works. My nanna trained 10 babies this way, all at 18-20 months.
    FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 2:44 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Your daughter will let you know when shes ready my daughter freaked out when she wet herself or when her diaper was dirty so when she was 14 months old i bought her a potty and she used it on her own terms
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2008