breatfeeding question

my daughter is almost three mons old and is bf only. however, im finding it really hard lately to keep up with her feedings. she is beginning to eat more and i don't seem to be producing enough to satisfy her. i drink water throughout the day all day long it seems, have eaten oatmeal. I work and have to pump at least once during the work day ( i come home at lunch to feed). she is increasing the amt she eats at once and i was doing good to get a full bottle for her when i pumped at work. i have no idea how im going to get more. i like to have extra backed up in case of an emergency. Ive been getting a little stressed at the whole situation. i would really prefer not to take any pills or whatever that is people suggest. any other suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just nurse as often as she wants.
    she is probably in a growth spurt and the supply will catch up to the demand in a few days. just be patient. also try pumping between feedings.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Each and EVERY time you nurse her, after she is done, pump, pump, pump your breasts until they are empty. Then, go back a few minutes later and pump once more. This will stimulate your breasts to make more milk. It will take a couple days, but it does work. If you are not getting so much from your pump, try hand expressing your milk. This is the only way for me as pumps have never worked, but I can get a good 12-17 oz of milk at each pumping and it has only been 3 weeks for me. Should be enough if you can just build it up. Good luck. PS, I am not taking any extra meds other than pre-natals.
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 12:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• some women start losing their milk production, it happens to many women. just breastfeed as much as you can, pump as often as you can...and hopefully that will do it...otherwise, you may have to go to formula soon. good luck.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Um first quit stressing that makes you lactate less. I recommend using mother's milk herbal tea and pumping more often. Just pump pump pump and feed as often as she likes. Your body knows what it is doing lol
    neverwrong8682

Answer by neverwrong8682 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i know it's difficult, but try to relax.
    it sounds like it could just be a growth spurt.
    nurse on demand and if you feel like you need to, you can try taking fenugreek or drinking mother's milk tea.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:22 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i was on fenugreek and the teas, etc, and they didnt really work.. at about four months, we were pretty much done with BF, but it was ok, i was ok with it.. i got him as far as I could take him.. he's so healthy.. he's on soy formula, eats cereal and baby food.. he's almost 6 months old, and is the happiest little guy. Some things to try is try to relax.. stress will hinder your milk, andif you havent, I would call a lactation consultant.. they can offer you tips over the phone
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:24 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I agree, it's a good chance it's a growth spurt if she seems hungry all of the time. My son had a huge growth spurt at that age.

But if you feel your milk supply is down... feed her often and add an extra pumping session in. What helps your supply the most is not the duration but the frequency so try adding another session before bed or first thing in the morning or maybe at work.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:47 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I think that 9 times out of 10, if a BFing mother is worried about her supply... it's because of a growth spurt. It's totally normal, and both of mine did it (I nursed DS#1 for 9 months, and am still nursing DS#2 at 16 months). Just when you think that it can't get any worse.... they stop nursing so much, and then you have HUGE FULL BREASTS because you have loads of milk. LOL
    Take a deep breath, keep doing what you're doing, and your baby and body will adjust. (And, like the other ladies said, pump as often as you can).
    Danotoyou2

Answer by Danotoyou2 at 2:23 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• dont worry bout if she is getting enough or not,my doctor told me that even if u pump and nothing comes out baby can always get some.as for the storage part,pump befor a feeding,or feed her from one boob then pump the other.otemeal works kind of
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Normal growth spurt behavior. Don't stress it too much. It's not that she's not getting enough, it's that she knows her body will need more in a few weeks, so she's increasing your supply now with more nursing. Let her nurse on demand so she can succeed.
    Anonymous