Anyone had their baby at 34-35 weeks? after trying to stop preterm labor????

i went into preterm labor and they got it to stop for now and i am on nifedipine as needed for contractions but the dr only want me to take them if the contractions start getting stronger which is about every 8 hours. so far i have been able to keep them at bay. they gave me 2 steroid shots while in the hospital. and i was 2cm on monday morning.. but that really doesnt matter since you can be that way for weeks...as long as you dont have the strong contractions to encourage it to open more.
the dr says we may not be able to stop him from coming... i am 34 weeks and 1 day they want me to make it to at least 35 i would rather make it to 36-37 at least but i will take what i can get...
how many of you had babies at 34-35 weeks and did you have the steroids were you babies healthy did they have to stay in the nicu or did they do great on their own?? just some encouragement i guess i am so worried he will have to stay in the nicu they said he is already weighing 5.2 but then i was also just told that weight doesnt matter anymore...

brittanybell

Asked by brittanybell at 12:10 AM on Sep. 10, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Baby weight doesn't matter as much as lung maturity. Did they test the L/S ratio from your amniotic fluid while you were in the hospital? It is used to determine lung maturity and the likelihood of breathing difficulty at birth. If the ratio is high, the baby has a lower chance of breathing difficulties. The steroid shots will help the baby produce surfactant. Surfactant is needed for the lungs to easily re-inflate during breathing. GL momma
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 12:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2011

• My son was born 1 day shy of 34 weeks and I only had the shots 48 hours before I had him. He had to go to the NICU and was there for a week. He had issues breathing at first. I had him due to severe pre-e and HELLP.

My SIL had my niece at 35 weeks due to pre-term labor and she had the steroid shots awhile before and my niece only weighed 4lbs 8oz but she never went to the NICU or anything and was perfectly healthy. Even today my niece is just fine but my son has some issues.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 1:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2011

• my son was born at 34 weeks 2 days and weighed 4 pounds 15 ounces; he had to go to the NICU and was there for 10 days. He had breathing issues but is now fine. My oldest was born at 30 weeks weighing 2 pounds 2 ounces and was on a breathing machine had to learn to suck swallow and breathe and was in the NICU for 40 days; he is also doing fine and is healthy
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 18, 2011