Amniocentesis question!

What does it feel like? For those of you that have had it was it something you would do again? I may have to make that decision of having one and I would like as much knowledge going into it as possible. The reason being my AFP test came out positive for Downs Syndrome keep in mind it was a very low number I am 1 in 110, The norm. is 1 in 150 ( to test negative)...I have a level 2 ultrasound to check before they rule out the Amnio. Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have never had an amnio, and personally would never take that tiny risk of miscarriage in having one. I do however have a sweet baby boy who has Down Syndrome so if you need someone to talk to and ask questions feel free to message me!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I was scared as hell and totally afraid of needles, let along REALLY BIG NEEDLES, but after I had one (due to my age) it wasn't all that bad. The amnio test is safer the the CVS test and less chance of miscarriage. After the last one, it's no big deal. Even if there was something wrong it wouldn't change my mind about the child, but it's nice to have the "heads up" so that you can be prepared should something need attention.
    Good luck.
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 12:09 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I had an amnio. There was a spot on my ultrasound near my baby's heart. I had the level two and they gave me the option to do an amnio and I did. I am terribly afraid of needles but I did it. It felt like a pinch. I also have my navel pierced and that didn't hurt so my level of pain tolerance may be a little high. It seemed like it took forever but it was probably less than two minutes. I don't know if i would do it again. I'd always said that I wouldn't but when I had to make the decision...I did it. I personally just wanted to be prepared rather than wait until i gave birth to know if there was anything wrong. It is totally a personal choice.
    PrincessKim76

Answer by PrincessKim76 at 12:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2008