What is your opinion on a 14 year old girl having a myspace page??

There are so many creeps out there. Even with the privacy settings and all. I have went over this a million times in my head trying to rationalize this and I still say no. I personally have a page but I am also an adult and have got back intouch with many friends from the past. Again I am an adult and she is a 14 yo. HELP!!

Goaskyordad

Asked by Goaskyordad at 12:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• i see anythign wrong with it if you keep and eye on her while shes on her page. or get one of those software thigns were it can copy her internet time and later you can see wat she was doing.
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 12:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• as long as you're right behind her, looking over her shoulder to see what pictures she has on there and to monitor the friends she adds to her page. she should be fine. personally, i think myspace is a place for people to brag, show off or lie to make their lives sound better than everyone else's and some people like to cause drama. be aware and cautious. good luck, hopefully your daughter knows better.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My 14 year old has a myspace page, and I have the username and password. I check it DAILY. It is actually hooked to my email and I monitor her messages too. Until she turns 18, if she wants a myspace, that is the rules!! Her friends who have a page that is unmonitored, is completely apparent! The girls look and act like tramps and their content is SCARY!
    4theLoveofLovey

Answer by 4theLoveofLovey at 12:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Look at it this way - if you have an open communication and ground rules with her now about it then she will most likely agree to your terms and use it sensibly. You will need to know her email address, the password to it, her MySpace ID name, and the password to that, too. Tell her that you have to check and approve of anyone asking to join her friend's list PRIOR to her accepting them.

Otherwise, if you say no and she has access to a computer any other way (a friend's house or at school where it isn't 100% monitored) then she can open any email account and any MySpace page under any name, with any ID, and fake any date of birth. Easy as that. But don't let her know I said that - best not to put the idea in her head if her friend's haven't already.

I'd say clear communication and a trial period is best. But you are the mom, so go with your gut instinct.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• 1.NO pictures near or by the home 2. DO NOT MENTION what school she goes to.3 limit pictures..4DO not put her age..you can make her 100 lol.5 Do not put the town you live in.6.Make it so ONLY people that know your last name can ask to be friends..Myspace is not that big of a deal..If you can trust your daughter i dont see the big deal.

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 7:25 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I agree with the other posters; If it's monitored it would be fine with me. but the second i find anything inappropriate; It would come down with the quickness.
    ms.taylor_made

Answer by ms.taylor_made at 7:28 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My daughter is 12 I would never allow a my space page , she does have facebook , I have her password and whatnot and monitor her use extremely closely.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 8:10 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I think it depends on her maturity.
    JMGouge

Answer by JMGouge at 8:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• The only way she will learn to use the computer appropriately is by you teaching her. My 11 yr old has a facebook page. We sit down at the computer together while she plays on it. I think 14 is plenty old, as long as you are watching (not all the time, just in general).
    Either you can teach her or she can find out for herself.
    mom2eeba

Answer by mom2eeba at 8:35 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My daughter is 14 and has a myspace page. Our computer is in the diningroom so I can always see what's going on, plus I trust her. She always shows me posts and pictures of other girls on there, and omg..........where are their mothers ??????????????? Some of these young girls post pictures like they are trying to make it into the porn industry. It's disgraceful to say the least. Myspace can be a learning experience for your daughter...in teaching her WHAT NOT TO DO in her life. As long as you can watch over her, and she knows the do's and don'ts of myspace (and basically the world of the internet), I don't see a problem with it at all.
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 9:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2008