My Daughter 6 (almost 7) complains of headaches every other day or so. Should I be concerned? Any one else experience this?

4theLoveofLovey

Asked by 4theLoveofLovey at 12:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• does she sit in front of the tv or video games alot? or does she wear g lasses
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 12:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Does she happen to have long and or thick hair? I had very bad headaches at that age that continued on until I got my hair cut at age 12, at that point I learned that my headaches had been caused by the weight of my long thick hair. Even now I can't let my hair get beyond a certain length or I'll have bad headaches because of the weight.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• alot of times in children that is a sign that it's time for an eye exam....I used to get headaches alot when I was that age and it turned out i need glasses. You might need to take her to the eye doctor
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 12:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Lots of avenues here... Now that I think of it, she is watching tv when she complains about headaches.... and yet again, she has hair down to her butt, although it is thin- not thick!! I may need to start with the eye exam!!
    4theLoveofLovey

Answer by 4theLoveofLovey at 12:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I would check her eyes maybe even start a log of what she is eating to see if maybe it is food related. MSG, preservatives, and even artificial sweetener can cause headaches for some people. I would check in with her doctor too and see what he/she says. Good luck.
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 12:35 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I have headaches since I was little too and they stil havent gone away.. Make sure she isnt drinking like cokes and stuff or anything with caffeine that could very well give her headaches. atleast I know If I drink a sweet tea or coke a day later I know Im going to get a headache
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 1:11 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I know that my DD does it just to get attention. Could there be something to that as well?
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 1:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My son has the same issue. His ped said to keep a log, when, how severe, did you treat with meds, just jot it down. Also does the headache go away with meds? I hope it all works out. My son does wear glasses and has a lazy eye that does not have full vision. I am not sure if your child has any problems like that but it may be wise to let the eye doctor check her out.
    kris_orchid

Answer by kris_orchid at 2:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Sounds like its time for an eye exam. I started getting bad headaches in 5th grade, turns out I needed glasses.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 2:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Hi there. Im sure if I asked my mom she would tell you to take her to a neurologist. I have had headaches since age 8 and woah has it rocked my world! Get to the bottom of it as soon as possible. I do agree to get her eyes checked, check the caffeine intake, regulate TV and computer time and check out her environment for culprits! Good luck.
    haysmum

Answer by haysmum at 7:57 AM on Dec. 31, 2008