When do you start you baby on Baby rice/food?

Well my mother-in-law is constantly telling me that I need to give my daughter rice cereal every since she was two months old. She said she gave it to all of her children. I am breast-feeding and told her I'm not giving my daughter any rice or food until she is six months old like her pediatrician told me. She told me not to listen to doctors who don't have kids!

bmom42

Asked by bmom42 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• MIL is wrong wrong wrong. No solids till six months, per the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Perhaps she'd accept the advice of Dr. William Sears, who has EIGHT kids? He also says SIX MONTHS, no sooner. And when you start mashed banana or avocado (rice cereal is junk), nurse first, solids after.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:41 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I never gave my children rice cereal. I ebf my first until he was about 10 months or so and we staretd on avocado and banana. My second is 6 months and he has never had solids before. babies do not need solids until after a year old. Until then its just to get use to different tastes and textures. imo cereal is not a the best to teach them about different tastes and textures because it doesn't have much of a taste and its real pasty.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i started giving my son cereal at 4 months. my doctor said that was okay. he had no problems with it.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I started my daughter on cereal at 4 months and my son at 5.5 months. In laws always think they're right but you know your baby the best so follow your instincts. You're her mother.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 12:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I started giving my kids cereal at 1 month and fruits & veggies at 3 months.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Around 4 months old. Whenever they can hold there head steady and can swallow liquids well without choking then it is probably time to start :)
    neverwrong8682

Answer by neverwrong8682 at 12:47 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i gave rice cereal at 2 months old because pediatrician told me to (my daughter had severe reflux) but gave it through a bottle because 2 months old was too young to use a spoon. it didn't help, what helped is when she sat up on her own, her neck muscles were strongest at 5 months and when she ate jar foods. She was mainly breastfed.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 1:16 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i fired my first ped.. she told me I HAD to do what she said... sorry not my type of doctor, my new doctor said if you feel like trying something, go for it.. you are his mother.. i didnt ask my doctor about having my son sleep on his tummy at 4 weeks, ( he was happy about that ) i didnt ask my doctor about starting my son on rice cereal at the end of his 3rd month ( he again was pleased with the results) and now, my son is almost 6 months old, sleeps all night long, takes 3-4 naps a day, and is a very happy little man. You are the parent.. you will know when your child needs something more.. i should mention my son HAD reflux, not any more... any more ??? i'll be happy to help
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:20 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• after 6 months of age.
    even then cereal isn't necessary.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:23 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Rice cereal isn't really necessary. My son loved it so we gave it to him. My daughter hated it so we skipped it. I feel like we started our son to early, but we were new parents and didn't know better. He was about 4 months. With my daughter we waited until 6 months. After one bite she never opened her mouth for it again so we just went with something else. Bananas, I think.

Aside from being nutritionally unnecessary, it is useless to try and start them before their tongue thrust reflex disappears because they will just push the cereal right out of their mouth. If you are breast feeding successfully I wouldn't mess with it.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 3:39 AM on Dec. 31, 2008