How much do you pay a babysitter?

Jen.PA

Asked by Jen.PA at 2:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When we are in NY, we pay our sitter $15.00/ hr.
    2lilcubs

Answer by 2lilcubs at 2:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i havent used a baby sitter but i charge 20 bucks a day. and if you dropof friday afternoon and pick up saturday night ill charge you 40.
    erins2ndbaby

Answer by erins2ndbaby at 2:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Gosh, this seems to be the question of the day. It has been posted atleast 5 times..I can tell that gas prices are high and we are all pinching pennies. We pay $5- $7 dollars an hour.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I am a sitter, and it depends on the hours and if they eat lunch & snacks. I normally charge $25 per day, but geez, $15 an hour would be sweet! Can I watch your kids 2lilcubs??
    amcfan

Answer by amcfan at 4:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

amcfan

Answer by amcfan at 4:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If it is day care or a nanny, the going rate in LA is $15/hr. If it is just a few hours to sit them on a Saturday night, say 4 or 5 hours, then it would be around $10 to $12 an hour. There are tons of variable in the daycare or nanny situation though, like taxes, references, accredidation, meals, etc. Depends what you are looking for. I would even go as low as $8 an hour on the weekend if it was an older teen or college student babysitting and they were not going to have to diaper or feed the kids. I guess it depends on the person too, and what they require per hour and their references.
    4sailor

Answer by 4sailor at 4:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I agree with the $5 to $7 an hour for a teen sitter or someone watching your child for short periods of time. If you have a specific person in mind, pull them aside for a private minute and ask how they feel about an hourly rate. Now, if you are talking about "daily care" I would venture to the local daycares and ask about their weekly/daily rates. Be sure to ask if and what they charge for "late pick-ups." Generally, I do not pay more for a private sitter than I do for an established daycare; unless that provider is too wonderful to loose!!
    DanicaMom

Answer by DanicaMom at 4:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Here in PA the going rate is $3.00 an hr or 27.00 a day for day care. It is like getting a 1.00 an hour for the kids I watch and that doesnt include food 2 snacks 2 meals.
    stacnova

Answer by stacnova at 7:40 AM on Jun. 28, 2008