I'm starting to potty train my son and I need some advice on what I should do. I toileted him all day today and he went in the potty 4 times today, and he went poo and pee in his pants twice. Does any one have any advice? Hes turning 2 Jan. 6.

I need some potty training advice

monkie05

Asked by monkie05 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• advice - wait until he is ready to actually know when he needs to go. so far you are just training yourself on what times to put him on the potty, he isn't actually learning anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• u say he went pee in his pants? well when i ws training my son, he ran around naked. he dare not pee on the floor, so when he had the urge, hed go running to the potty. also, since i knew about when he had to go, id just put him on the potty when i thought it was about time for him to go. sometimes hed end up sitting there for a while, but when he did finally go, i would give him soooooooooooooooooooo much praise
    mstia

Answer by mstia at 2:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I trained my son at 19 months in less than a week in August. They need to be naked from the waist down and you need to be on the floor with them for 4-5 days with no distractions. As soon as they start to go, tell them what they are doing and where you would like them to put it, and sit them on the potty. Stay positive, giving lots of praise, rewards, treats, stickers, whatever you think would work for him. Within three days, my son was using the potty by himself without prompting and had no more accidents. It's very simple, but it really works. My nanna trained 10 babies this way, all at 18-20 months.
    FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 2:40 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• If you feel he is ready to be trained this early, just keep at it!! He's not going to get it in one day. Can he tell you he has to go? I mean...can he say the word "potty" or whatever you're using? (I've heard that unless they have a way to communicate they have to go to hold off....)

I'm working on my three year old...he only had one accident yesterday when he pooped (seems like that's going to be his issue here grrrr) However, it was because I took him every hour or so to try to pee. It's more like I'm being trained here, not him. (we let him "call the shots" and he'll tell us he has to go potty...once he's standing there with wet pants.)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:37 AM on Dec. 31, 2008