What do you think?

My 10 year old son got the game Grand Theft Auto for Christmas. It is the only thing that I have seen him really interested in. He loves to play it. I wanted to take it away and throw it because I know it is rated 'Mature', and is pretty violent and graphic. He promises me that he does not kill, or anything else besides pull people out of their car so that he can "steal" it. He really enjoys the game because he can drive alot of different types of vehicles. I really have no idea what it is that makes him enjoy the game so much. So what do you think? Is this one of those times that I should trust him, or should I throw it away before it gets out of hand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• If he likes to drive a lot of cars and stuff I would suggest that he try games like Burnout (there are a lot of them - my son's favorite is Burnout Paradise - he says it's the most like GTA, but without all the killing and prostitute stuff - but with all the racing and driving stuff), Project Gotham, Grand Turismo, Dirt, etc. There's also a game called Stunt Man Ignition - you drive around having to do various special effects stunts in a certain amount of time in all sorts of different cars.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• well, if you have properly taught him what is right and wrong, there is no need to worry about a video game.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• IDK I played this game once and there are no morals whatsoever! I picked up a prostitute, had sex with her, kicked her out of my car and than ran her over to get my money back! I swear I can't make this stuff up!
    Anonymous

• That is a VERY mature game. I would limit his play and supervise him.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 12:30 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My only problem with it, is the language...my husband has it and it's horrible. I could see someone his age repeating alot of the things on it....they just don't make video games like they used too...plus it's not like he's gonna go out and buy a gun and start shooting people...but my personal opion wait and see about his additude and what not and if he seems to be affected by it the throw it out!
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 12:30 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I HATE that my husband even plays this game. I hate the violence that the player is in control of..can make the character just walk up and shoot someone for no reason..great stuff there *rolling eyes*. Even if he says that he doesnt kill people that doesnt mean he's not, just my opinion. I would never let a 10 yr old play this game
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 12:38 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Wow after reading these reviews this makes me glad that my boys are into sports games. Wii Outdoor challenge fun and no violence well except for the mii wiping out on snowboard.

Before the Wii their DS's were everything. They always wanted to play. Their friend had video games and they would swap. Yeah after I seen the game that was vetod. I always explain why. He was upset at first but then football became the main thing again.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 7:18 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• GTA is not a game for kids. That's why it's rated M.
    My brothers had it when they were teens, and my mother had no idea how horrible it was. I wouldn't let my 10yo play it.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 9:58 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Hmm, stealing, drugs, prostitution.... these are things I wouldn't want my 11 year old son 'glorifying' through a game, or real life for that matter!
    PinkSodaPop

Answer by PinkSodaPop at 10:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I already know that this answer will probably get a lot of bashing because although there are some parts of it that are more graphic than others, my 10 yr. old son has it too and I agree with anon that if you've taught him right and wrong, he should be fine. JMO.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2008