My almost 7 year old can't keep her panties dry! I've gotten mad, tried rewards, and nothing works!! Is it medical?? Or is she just lazy?

Every ONCE in a while, she actually pees her pants. But, EVERY DAY, the cotton portion of her panties are wet! She usually smells of urine, and it's embarrasing. I think she just doesn't want to stop what she is doing to go the the restroom, but I don't want to rule out a medical problem. Any ideas??

4theLoveofLovey

Asked by 4theLoveofLovey at 12:38 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow, Renee, cranky or what? And may I compliment you on your language? I bet you're a FAVORITE amongst the army brats!! Everyone send Renee some love, she NEEDS it! MUAH!
    4theLoveofLovey

Answer by 4theLoveofLovey at 12:59 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• could it be cervical mucus? some girl have mucus when they are very young. it could be a medical problem .. more than likely she is not lazy. she is 7, she should be potty trained by now, which is why i am thinking its mucus or something. or maybe she is not wiping when she is using the bathroom. thats a very good possibily.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My daughter is nine and I have had problems, and still do with her wetting her bed. I know it's different but maybe not that different. Sometimes it's the only thing they have control over. I am not sure what is going on in her life but I do know they don't like to upset us or pee their pants so she may just have a medical problem or some anxiety. I would talk to the ped. and see what they suggest.
    kris_orchid

Answer by kris_orchid at 1:58 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I would say medical. She may have an overactive bladder... you know like the have on TV for older people? Children can have this too. And it can cause small leaks without notice... and some time wetting their pants. I think if she were being lazy about it (and at 7 who wants to wet their pants?) it would be a larger amount then just wet underpants. But it might help to remind her to use the bathroom more often so her bladder isn't as full and maybe reduce the chance of leaks.

I would talk to her pediatrician about it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• my ped did tests and no urinary tract problems. Is it behavioral?? Seriously, I did get her checked. My MIL says her daughter had problems with an elongated eurethra, but she is a total liar and drama queen... ugh. maybe a second opinion.
    4theLoveofLovey

Answer by 4theLoveofLovey at 2:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Geez amybe she is doing it because of stress u put on her by reacting the way you do? Just a thought, I might pee too if mom was coming at me to check that...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Anonymous--please her mom is not putting stress on her by being concerned.--Get a grip.
    Maybe she has problems realizing when she needs to go? And she doesn't realize it until she's started to go?
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 10:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• ok lanasmom-you're right-it wouldn't bother me at all if my mother wanted to constantly check my panties and then yell...how dare i have an opinion, ty for helping me get a grip on that, ty.
    Anonymous

• talk to your doctor it sounds medical.
    tisfive

Answer by tisfive at 1:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Anonymous is just busy raising her pups like a good bitch, while critisising the rest of us. That's why she's anonymous! Most folks with a very low IQ enjoy being nasty but not having to take the heat.... Maybe she's in heat? Here's a scooby treat anonymous; Sit, stay!!no biting!
    4theLoveofLovey

Answer by 4theLoveofLovey at 2:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009