I need some help getting my four year old to stay in his room at night

Recently my son has not been staying in his room at night. He comes down all hours of the night and tries to climb in bed with us. I take him back to his room and then he comes right back down again saying he is scared. I leave a light on plus a night light on for him and even lay with him until he goes back to sleep. Any advice?

jaysmommy08

Asked by jaysmommy08 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sleep with him in his room. he in his bed and you on the floor or air mattress. when he is Knocked out. sneek out. its his sense of you being near by that gets that helps. My parents did that to me. I did the same thing at 4.
    CAmommytoBeE

Answer by CAmommytoBeE at 1:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• First, don't leave his light on. He won't sleep deeply with it on and when he wakes up, he will come looking for you.

If he is scared of monsters, get him a bottle of "monster spray". A simple spray bottle filled with water and a couple of drops of perfume.

Then try the "silent return to bed" trick. Every time he gets out of bed, simply pick him up and return him to bed. Don't say anything. Don't scold, don't remind him of the rules, just pick him up and put him back. It may take dozens of trips the first night or two but it will be boring for him since you aren't even bothering to scold him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I agree with the first post. I have a bunch of blankets on the floor to make a bed next to mine. My 4 yr old comes in my room, and hits the floor. He feels close to me, and I don't feel like a mean mom, because if he IS scared, it breaks my heart.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 5:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• sounds like your doing it mom! his room is best!!
    Anonymous