Any other parents have bipolar child? I have been advised my daughter may be bipolar...

She was medicated for ADD but, it turned her into a monster and didn't help. I was just diagnosed bipolar, and my mom is bipolar. Any advice???

4theLoveofLovey

Asked by 4theLoveofLovey at 12:41 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I didn't think that usually showed up until the 20's. Did you talk to the Dr. about it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• who advised you of this? just someone put it in your head or a doctor?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My counselor, actually. She, from what I am telling her, says that my daughter shows MANY of the manic depressive symptons.
    4theLoveofLovey

Answer by 4theLoveofLovey at 12:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• when was 13-20..that is NOW i was diagnosed as bipolar. THEN they realized i'm just ADD and have severe depression. On the right medication and it makes a huge difference. i know a lot about bipolar but docs are really quick to jump on that. I mean, i'm not and all those years of the wrong medicines really messed with me. also look into a personality disorder because they are very similar but the treatments are different. and chances are, you and your mom are bipolar...unfortunately she most likely is too. but at least you have a head start in knowing what to expect since you grew up the same, right?

if you ever wanna talk or ask questions i'm over versed on bipolar, how to deal with it etc. people judge so quickly if they think youre bipolar and its a shame.
    Sandiii

Answer by Sandiii at 9:54 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My son is ADHD and diagnosed with mood disorder, one doc says bipolar, another says no. He also has anxiety and other issues. What I would recommend is finding a mental health care provider to see her on a weekly basis and help her and see what you are really dealing with.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My son is bipolar and is 9 yrs old. They he was diagnosed at 8. HE has all of the symtoms. And it does run in the family. So yes a child can be diagnosed. He was first diagnosed with adhd but when we went through all the process he is bipolar and we are trying to get him on some sort of mild meds. He is struggling in school and home life.
    ChannaRamma

Answer by ChannaRamma at 11:46 AM on Mar. 14, 2009