Help! My /our awesome six year old grandson carved into roommates dining room table!

After the first awareness of the scratched wood dining tabe he denied he did it. He would not admit it. This second insident he suddenly sees the seriousness of his behavior. My daughter has to pay to replace the dining table and my grandson is not allowed in the living room area. He suddenly is realizing how serious his behavior causing damage to a dining table that their roommate worked hard for. What would be your displine to your grandsons behavior ?

momdukes59

Asked by momdukes59 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If it is a favorite table, I wonder if it could be refinished instead of replaced? Anyway this wasn't your question. If it was an accident, then not being allowed in the room for a while should be adequate. We all have accidents or don't realize the consequences of something we do. If this is a deliberate repeat of something that he's been warned against, then the repercussions need to be strong indeed. If he gets an allowance, then half or more of it should be docked toward repair expenses. He should also be given an extra chore that he must do to help around the house- he must scrub the floor or clean the bathroom. And then the punishment (except for a long time of allowance docking) should stop. Dragging the punishment on for a long time makes it lose its effectiveness. A quick sharp punishment and then letting him know he is very much loved and is expected to do better next time.

Answer by Bmat at 11:42 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i wouldnt do anything. i would leave it to his mother.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 12:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I agree that his mother should disipline him...
    but she should make HIM earn the money to replace it by working around the house/for your room mate....
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:11 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• @ six they are just discovering the consequeces for their behavior but they do know right from wrong. He must have a favorite item. I would take it from him, I would also have him write an apology letter to the roomates. How would he like them to destroy his property? Just explain this and if this behavoir continues I would further punish him with restrictions....
    kris_orchid

Answer by kris_orchid at 2:06 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• At six he knows exactly what is right or wrong about this. His mom should make him buff out the scratches w'sandpaper, and make him write a letter sying sorry.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:58 AM on Dec. 31, 2008