How to Potty Train a boy?

My son is 17 months and shows lots of interests in the bathroom.. and likes to be free and will stand next to the toilet and just wait there..

How do I start to like teach him specific things

UAFwife

Asked by UAFwife at 1:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

• talk to him about his parts. the only one he really needs to know right now is "penis". tell him to sit on the potty and "pee". you can also ask him to hold his penis and stand up. boys seem to like that, but it has proven really messy in my house. just don't be embarressed to talk with him about the potty. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• OOH! I wish I had a boy! Do this! get a box of fruit loops, and put a few in the toilet water. Challenge him to "drown" them, with his pee, or use them as targets with his pee, etc. He will want to pee ALL THE TIME. I bet you have him trained in days!!
    4theLoveofLovey

Answer by 4theLoveofLovey at 2:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• my friend potty trained her two by setting a timer. Every 10-15 mins, the timer would ding, and that means its time to sit on the potty. They may not pee at first, but after a while they will get it.

Get him used to the action of potty time. Show him how you pull down your pants and sit on the potty. Have him sit for a little bit--even just a few seconds--then its time to pull up his pants.

epoh

Answer by epoh at 11:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Most moms I know use the timer method. This way its the timer, not you, telling him when to go sit. Keep this up for several weeks--having him sit on the potty every 15 mins--until he has gone several times on the potty. He will get the hint soon enough. Do not expect him to poop on the potty quite yet; sometimes that comes much later. Also do not expect night training to happen at the same time day training does.

Also keep in mind that cloth diapered kids train a lot quicker than kids in sposies. They can feel the wetness and don't like it, so are more likely to use the potty. If you have to use a disposable, put on some underwear before you put on the sposie, so he can feel the wetness.
    epoh

• I am in the process of toilet training my 19 month old. I got him a potty all his own and it seems to be working but not quite sure if he is quite ready for big boy underpants. He poops and pees no problem but he sometimes waits to tell me that he has to go potty after he has already gone in his diaper. Is their something that I can do to help him tell me before he goes in his diaper?
    trentonalan

Answer by trentonalan at 11:17 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I was taught by the oldest practicing pediatrician in the world, to do this with my boys and it works every time. First, never make something natural, like going to the bathroom, eating or sleeping, be a trick for a treat. Its natural and children respond best when keeping it this way. Parents can't seem to keep up consistently with the treats and prizes and all the hoop-a-la that goes with creating potty training as a feat. :) So this is how we did it easily. Every time daddy goes to the bathroom, let him call little man to come and go with. Together they stand there quietly, no reason to make long drawn out explainations of body parts or functions, LOL, just use the toilet and make it seem like a real priviledge to be big like daddy. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• When daddy's at work, simply take him when you go, letting him stand nicely outside the door (which teaches him privacy and respect) and then without much ado, when you are finished bring him in and simply stand him by the toilet, or sit, which ever function is needed and then act distracted, like you are wiping the sink, hehe, waiting only a couple of minutes, then help him pull up his own pants and back out the door to play. Remember that one of the easiest ways to help little guys potty is to keep a cup of water in a sippy on the table. Sugar drinks, cola's, juice, etc. make it harder to hold the bladder. Water keeps the kidneys and bladder clean and clear, plus is easier to "hold". :) Try this, you might start a new potty revolution!! :)
    lifeasinoit

• I did the cereal thing with my boys...I also let them run around naked at home! LOL! For some reason, being able to 'see' the pee coming out helped them connect the feeling with the action. They peed on the carpet a few times, but if you are vigilant about watching them and take them every 15-30 minutes or so, they get it pretty quick. Also, I agree with pp...no treats. It's peeing and pooping for crying out loud, it doesn't need to be rewarded. Also, let him go with Daddy. But to the pp who said kid don't like to be wet, my daugther could care less about being wet...LOL! She will potty when she's naked but the minute I cover her butt with panties or pull-ups, she will pee. Go figure...
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 2:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• check out this video "once upon a potty" on youtube. also the try "japanese potty training vidoes" informative and hillarious. i had tolet my son go pantless for a few days b4 he got it. i can recommend great carpet cleaner and spot removal tequniques if you ever need the info. good luck
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 4:05 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I used the cherios in the tolit thing to train standing up....worked great...if they are intrested go for it!!!!! best thing that i did was take them out of pull ups and diapers while at home and put underroos on.Yep had to clean up a few messes but they loved being big boys. I agree that treats are not the way to do it.Praise and mom looking like an idiot were what my kids liked. I would dance around and sing we went poty on the poty wahoo wahoo. Even ran outside and yelled it to the next door neighbor...good friends LOL. after that everytime he went potty he had to go and get a hug from aunty jo.
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 10:08 AM on Jan. 2, 2010