Do you really believe hormonal BC is safe for a teen (or anyone)?

I was just reading the answers to another question and was SHOCKED at how many moms on here said they planned on giving their daughters BC regardless of if they thought they were having sex. Hormones are DANGEROUS! And can cause a lot of issues in her body, especially at a young age. Even if you don't SEE the harm being done, you don't know what long term damage is happening. I mean, we're talking about hormones, not aspirin here... I don't understand how that's even an option...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I personally would not put my daughter on BC unless she had a terribly heavy period and was badly anemic and iron pills weren't working. I want my kids to become the strongest, purest, healthiest adults that I possibly can create.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2011

• I'm not putting any of my daughter's on birth control. BC has always had a bad effect on me, and on the women in my family...something in our bodies just doesn't agree with it so I won't be putting my daughter's through that.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2011

• I put mine on birth control when she became sexually active and make no apologies for doing it.

Answer by gemgem at 6:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2011

• So poisoning your children and possibly messing her body up for life is a good trade for not having a baby early?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2011

• When she become sexually active? I'd hope my daughter when she becomes sexually active is old enough to go get her own birth control.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2011

• Yep in the real world teenagers have sex. They also spread STD's. If a parent is not pro active and buries their head in the sand it doesnt make it stop. That is reality. I am thankful my dd and I have an open and honest relationship with one another. And if you want to all vote me down for it, so be it. Oh and I happen to have 2 wonderful grandkids, she is married and did have a baby when she was a teen because she stopped taking her birth control pills. Just because you want to believe they wont do it does not mean it isnt gonna happen.

Answer by gemgem at 6:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2011

• I am not in the real world then. Because my teenagers will not be unsupervised in confined areas for long periods of time to disrobe and engage in adult relations.

it WONT happen.... if you treat your kids like kids and not like small adults.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2011

• No, I don't believe they are safe for anyone.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2011

• All I'm going to say is this... Just because you feel it is poisoning them doesn't mean its not better for some girls to be on it. I have a ton of friends that NEEDED to be on it young...they had very irregular periods, heavy periods, and things like that which made their periods VERY difficult on them. If its prescribed by a doctor and all the risks are discussed then I see no problem with it. Even if it is used to keep them from getting pregnant. You can't change that kids WILL find a way to do it. I'm sorry but thinking you will be ableto stop it if they have their minds set on doing it is naive... did your parents know every single thing you did as a teen?? Probably not. Hell I know people that had sex IN school. Personally I think that its up to each parent and THEIR child....not saying its ideal but it happens...better than a ton of 16 year old moms that never go anywhere in life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2011

• so let me get this straight in case I am confused......... you allowed your daughter to take a medication so serious and so important and with such potential for adverse effects that you actually had to tell the physician that you were OK with it. and then you left her to her own devices and did not monitor her taking the medicine correctly?

you're lucky she just had a baby. what if that was seizure medication? or antibiotics? or insulin? you would up with a baby having a baby because of failure to monitor the medication that you requested she be put on! you're lucky you didn't lose custody. shame on u!!!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2011