Thinking about Baby #2

My hubby and I are thinking about having another baby soon and Im kinda worried about my son. He will be 2 in March and I kno he will be jelous. Hes a complete mommys boy. Hes good with other ppls babies but Im nervous that once he realizes the baby isnt going home he might freak out. Any advice?

Sweetiemama717

Asked by Sweetiemama717 at 1:47 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well u could give him a lil more time but honestly my ds is 13 and jealous of my baby(due in may). I think the benefit of him being a lil older is he can help more and understand more as u explain. Who knows hon, if he's a momma's boy he may get into it and want to help.I think it is just a balance paying attention to both kids. even tho a newborn takes up alot of time, they are pretty happy to be warm,clean,full, and snuggled-they sleep alot which leaves time for ds who will need alot of extra attention. good luck!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• he may be jealous but then he may be a protective older brother and just want to always be with him and help you...

i had my first child on 12/1/07 and I'm due to have my second child on 6/1/09.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 2:10 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Honestly, you won't know until it happens.

Let him help out...build up excitement about being a big brother. Have him do little things like get a diaper, let him hold the bottle a little while (if you bottle feed ,that is LOL) or get a special toy.

You WILL say to him "just a minute toddler, I have to do something for baby". So on the same note, make sure he hears "just a minute baby, I have to do something for toddler." (even if the baby is asleep...who cares? Toddler needs to hear it!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:24 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I have 3 boys ages 3,2 and 7months. I just involved my older sons in helping out with the new babies by giving them some responsibilites, like getting me a diaper or baby wipes, ect. When the baby slept is when I gave my other sons the special one on one attention they deserved. My oldest son had it the hardest because my middle son has Down Syndrome so he has therapists 4 days a week not to mention all the doctors appts. he has. Derick will be 4 in Feb and is very helpful and loving to his 2 younger bros. Your son will be fine!!!! especially if he knows he is loved. Go for another one, I want at least one more.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• You have to prep them by constantly talking about the baby through out the whole pregnancy. My oldest was just a baby while I was pregnant with her little brother and was going on 2 when her little sister was born. Every day we talked about the new baby. Whenever we did something we would as her what she thought the baby would like to do. We involved her in naming the baby, gave her a new baby doll, etc. By the time her younger siblings came around she was super excited. We also had her helping with the baby. She would bring us diapers and wipes, take the dirty ones to the trash. Since we bottle fed she would sit in my lap and hold the bottle while I fed them.
    We never had a problem with jealousy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:05 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Start preparing him as much as possible. Is he in a toddler bed? If not, then get him a "big boy" bed. Try to havr him potty trained before the next one comes...having 2 in diapers is expensive:) Try to put him in situations where he has to share with other kids. If he spends most of his time with you try to find a relative (your mom, SO, even a super close friend) to babysit, or even sit and play with them while you do other things (both in and outside the house) It will help him realize that you won't be giving him attention every second, but you still love him just the same. Then, when the baby comes home, not only have him help in little ways...but spend special time with him when the baby naps (my kids are 22 months apart & they do great) I know with the first one they say sleep when the baby sleeps...but, the truth is~with 2 or more..that's out the window for awhile. Stock up on caffiene and sleep when you can!!
    HelloKitty1225

Answer by HelloKitty1225 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2009