Did your 18+ grow up to their potential or how you thought??

I always thought my 18 ds was so brilliant when he was little and really thought he would grow up to be something big and he ended up hating school, and is really upsetting me with the sad choices he is making. Is it normal for me to feel so let down now that he is grown? I watched a lot of old home movies today, and it just makes me sad, or is he just trying to find himself and will get there eventually???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• My son is 13 and hates school as well. Thankfully he still ahs a plan for college. When I have hard days(like today) w/him I tellmyself, he is still that same bright kid, going thru a not so bright time. Don't give up hope mom, he's finding himself-and our plans for our kids may differ from their own. It is hell when they grow up huh? (hugs)mama.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:23 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• As long as mine grew up with morals,a kind heart, and always did their best(thats all they can do) then yeah they grew up like I had hoped. Don't get me wrong, I went thru all the hard teenage stuff, but, they still turned out great, even with the not so great stuff. He will find what he wants to do with his life, it just may take more time. He really is still young and has plenty of time to do it.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:25 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Have you "talked" to him. We don't know what these sad choices are so it's kinda hard to give an opinion. He is still very young. Just listen and encourage him. High School is full of drama - OMG do I not know that - but I also know college is sooooo different.
    lovinglife58

Answer by lovinglife58 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I thought I was going to die with my son, but with a good father he turn out alright. 30 yrs old in the rev. 5 yrs navy, 4 yrs LA NG, 14 mos. in Iraq, now he is AG. Gra. Dec 19, 2008 Cum Laude in BA filming from UNO. On the job market, hopefully marries good young lady catholic maybe. Hang in there it all work out. If he make a decision, and it go wrong. Stand by him, and talk talk talk help in out, but you have to let him know you can't be there all time, and helping out making the right choice.

SUthekeys

Answer by SUthekeys at 11:06 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I think we as parents see the great potential in our children and want the very best for them.. It is heart breaking when our children do not realize their potential or even think of their future, there kids and think about NOW

Anonymous

• they will be fine teach them the right from wrong like drugs are bad and safe sex
    supermum2

Answer by supermum2 at 6:12 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• think of the future
    supermum2

• I agree , we as parents see our kids as having such bright futures and going places where we couldn't go. It IS heartbreaking when they refuse to see their potential or settle. I know for both my kids, well I had high hopes, and not to say they aren't good kids, just some smarter choices could have been made. My son once told me that I expected too much of him and I told him because I knew he had it in him. I hear parents saying once they are 18 they can do what they want, I agree with that to a point, but they still need some guidance, and if they make a bad choice, well then let it be a lesson. Lots of deep breathes you'll make it.
    Ibelucky1

Answer by Ibelucky1 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• 9:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2008 by: Anonymous I think we as parents see the great potential in our children and want the very best for them.. It is heart breaking when our children do not realize their potential or even think of their future, there kids and think about NOW

I completely agree.  My dd is now 22.  She was so smart in school and had so much potential to do whatever she wanted to do but here she sits at home with no job, no plan, and we're paying for her every need.  It just breaks our hearts.  She doesn't even act like she wants to do anything but sit around.  It's really hard.

ashandamymom

Answer by ashandamymom at 10:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• my pop had all kindsa ideas about me too n it was definitely posponed but eventually ill get there...sometimes things dont turn out the way wed hope but in the long fun try to look at the things he has done so far...good luck
    Killemo

Answer by Killemo at 3:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2009