Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does child support work when it's 2 different states?

I'm in CA and when my DD was 3 months old, I filed CS, this was in 2000. The bio dad moved to GA and since then has only made 2 payments of CS - it was his incomes taxes and the DA intercepted them and sent me a check instead so out of the past 9 years I got a total of $1800. He owns a home over there, got married, and had more children. How can I enforce CS? He is aware of the CS hanging over him, owes $50k as of present time, has his DL revoked, and the DA told me his credit has been affected. The DA knows his address and everything but I don't get one penny. Is there anything I can do? I have been struggling for MONTHS and feel like I can't make it anymore! Thanks.

Answer Question

Asked by viv212 at 2:16 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Call the DA in his town, call his boss, call a lawyer in is town. Call the county office in his county and ask them how to proceed. Call anyone who will listen mom-don't give up!

    Answer by Bearsjen at 2:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • Isn't there a child support enforcement office for your state?

    Answer by richgirljj at 2:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2008



    Answer by richgirljj at 2:20 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • I had the bio dad move from CA to NV. The DA from CA filed some form for all states not just CA. Can't remember the proper name for it at the moment. But I would suggest letting your CS DA know what is going on and ask them to file this form. If I can find mine I will let you know. In NV they can't miss a payment or they go to jail. So even though he is in NV he had to pay through the CA office. I know someone will have a more correct answer just hang in there. It took me almost 18 years to finally get a full payment and alot of heart ache. And when it finally kids got the most of it because I felt they deserved it. And then I also allowed my DH to spend a bit on himslef since he had taken on the responsibility to help raise 3 wonderful kids.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • ours works by where the children live

    Answer by NicknConnersmom at 2:37 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • I should have added: I've been involved with the DA for 9 years. I have contacted them numerous times but all they can say is that the bio dad must be working under the table.

    Answer by viv212 at 4:02 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • If he's working under the table you'll have to find out how you can subpoena his bank account as proof of income. You *may* need to hire a forensic accountant...which is big bucks. The up side is if he and his new wife have a joint account any and all money in it will be concidered 'his', and used toward the debt he has to you.

    Yeah, I know. Sticking it to him like that is taking the low road...but sometimes it just feels so good!

    Answer by desert_diva at 10:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • My cousin's DH left our state and went to AL, he owed thousands and nothing was ever done. The police even went to the door, he answered but said "he" wasn't there and they left! It was a joke! I'm sad to hear that even years and years later it's still not taken very seriously! I like desert diva's idea, find that money he's "not" making and get it for your child, she deserves it.


    Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • if they confiscated his income tax and revoked his DL they are sorta enforcing it but can't garnish his checks b/c he doesn't get any. Has CA asked his state to enforce the order? It sounds like they have b/c he's had all the diff. things they can do (except for jail) taken against him. If I were you I may call the CSE office in his state and ask them to please do all enforcement including jail, or ask your DA to charge him with contempt (find out what exactly they have done, go in to their office with a pad and paper and write down everything they have done and when and then contact his home state as well).
    Unfortunately, CSE doesn't always work. (I know I'm 14k+-- as of August -- and stuck in limbo b/w 2-3 states. LOL

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:54 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.