Does the dvd set "Your baby can read" work?

I was wanting to try the dvd set "Your baby can read" but its expensive. So I was wondering if anyone has tried it and if so how did it work for you.

swetlulu1

Asked by swetlulu1 at 3:06 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• idk i have just read that the baby ent. stuff sets back your kids in long term
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• my sister started using it on my niece and so far its going good, it takes a while to do though.

anonymous where did you hear this stuff about setting your kids back long term?
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I checked into it a little bit. It teaches "reading" mostly by memorization. It does not teach letter recognition or phonics. It does not teach kids how to sound words out. And I've heard of a few kids who later had a bit of trouble in school when phonics started.......but not saying it's because of this program.

My personal view...a baby doesn't need to know how to "read". Kids eventually learn to read when they are ready. Mine...recognized letters and phonic sounds before age 2, my 3 year old has been writing and sounding words out for several months now and my 4 year old is reading way ahead of his preschool class already. All through us playing and reading books.

I think kids should be allowed to be kids. They are pushed and rushed too much these days and I think that program is a money making scheme.

My opinion....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I have a friend that teaches kindergarten and she advised not to get it. She said that it teaches by memorization not by sounding out words. She recommended hooked on phonics. They have it for all ages. My daughter is 22 months old. She know her entire alphabet, she can count to 23 and she can count to 11 in Spanish. But then again all kids are different in how they learn.

singlemom5481

Answer by singlemom5481 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Hi, I bought this set for my son a few days ago but haven't recieved it yet. Before purchasing it I asked my mom who is a Montassori teacher what she thought and after doing some research she decided it would be beneficial for my son. My son just turned 2 last month but he is obsessed with letters. He knows all of his ABCs as well as the sounds that they make. He has recently been very intrested in trying to put letters together to sound out words. Although my mom did agree that this program may be based on memorization for children who don't know the sounds that the letters make, she did say that it would be good for children who already know these things. My son is constantly looking for new things to do with letters and we have many Montessori exercises as well as books and dvds that he uses right now. So once we get the set we plan on using it in addition to the things he is already doing.
    nikkilozano

Answer by nikkilozano at 11:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I have the Dvds, They're okay, I Think I'm going to sell them On Ebay though, HE only likes watching the sing a long parts.. And He learns words way faster when I say them to him, All the words he knows how to say know, he Learned from hearing me say them, So Phonics is a lot better for teaching how to read., And He loves reading books with me, So I'm just going to buy a butt load of books and just read to him everyday, ANd for T.v time I'll buy him A sing a long Dvd.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2009