• In the Spotlight:

lamaze &/or delivery alone

Anyone done lamaze classes and/or childbirth alone? My DH is deployed and wont make it back until just a few days before the baby is due so I dont think there is gonna be time to fit a class in there, in my area they only offer them on sundays. And if DH doesnt get back in time I dont really have anyone else I want in the room with me. My mother stresses me out like no other even in non-stressful situations, my two bestfriends live on the other side of the country, and I REALLY dont want any of DH family in there with me. I am planning on having a doula but if DH doesnt make it home in time I think that might be the only support in the room with me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• im in the same boat hun. are you getting a free doula through operation special delivery? i havent taken classes bc we dont have the extra money and this hospital here sucks. my husband was home on r&r and wont be home until like a month and a half-2 months AFTER the birth of our second son. just remember to talk to your doula regularly and work out a birth plan. good luck and hugs!
    mrsjcf

Answer by mrsjcf at 3:41 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Your doula can go with you!
    Is this your first baby?
    I went to some of my birth classes alone. They were such a blast I didn't want to miss anything if my DH wasn't available.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:38 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Yup it is my first baby =) Doula's will go to lamaze classes with you? I didnt realize that. I know that she will be there with me in the delivery room until I give birth but didnt realize they would go to the birth class. That makes me feel a bit better.
    I guess im a bit aprehensive about not having anyone else in the room with me, family/friend wise, if he doesnt make it back in time. I want the support but not the stress and my mom tends to be on the side of stressful and nonsupportive or else I would completly want her there with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• That class scared me more!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• mrsjcf- yes I am gonna go through the operation special delivery program. I havent been in contact with them yet. I am 26 almost 27 weeks, is it too early to contact them?
    My heart goes to you and your family and Im sorry your DH wont be able to be there...Big hugs to you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i contacted them LONG ago! ha ha ha im 38 weeks right now. when i heard about them on here i asked a friend, doulala, and she gave me the website. its super easy and they are really nice. um i printed and sent in my paperwork back in july, and heard from them within 2 weeks i think and im in hawaii so mail here is slow. another great service offered on a volunteer basis for deployed families is a photographer. heres the website. i love how people actually do care for us who are holding down the fort! good luck! and be thankful you dont already have an 18 month old! ha ha ha but my mil comes on the 1st for the month to help and ill be sick of her by then im sure but i cant imagine doing the 2 kids+recovery alone!

http://www.oplove.org/
    mrsjcf

Answer by mrsjcf at 3:56 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My friends have said that everything they learned in class went out the window whenit was crunch time. I have had other say that the classes really worked. But everyone is different. Good Luck!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:20 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• OP~ I think that you should get in contact with them ASAP. It is a program that exists and can be really helpful, but we can't assume they have endless amounts of doulas available, either. Get in and claim yours now, lol! ;-D
    And sure, doulas can go to birth classes with moms. It just depends on the agreement with that doula.
    Glad to hear it's working out for you, mrsjcf!! :-D I have been helping some moms on CM find doulas when possible. OP-- if I can help you more, let me know.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• see i told you about her! she rocks! i ♥ doulala!
    mrsjcf

Answer by mrsjcf at 2:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• ahhh, thanks!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2008