2 year old

i have a 2 year old and he is bearly saying some word i dont know if is because i talk to him in spanish and my husban english but he understand us really good but he dosent say the many word what can i do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have him repeat stuff make conversation with him more. do activities with him
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• At 2 they should have about 50 words and have some 2 word phrases. (even bilingual kids)

It wouldn't hurt to talk to your pediatrician about an evaluation for possible speech therapy. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong...but if he could use some help, why not give it to him?

Do not give him something when he points to it...try to get him to say what he wants. At least some noise that he's trying. (even the correct number of syllables is a good start)

Do not speak for him...he'll fuss/cry/scream maybe...but he can make some attempt at a word.

Do not use baby talk...use correct words, but simplify sentences to 2-3 word phrases. Instead of "do you want your milk cup?" say "want milk?" or "milk please?" It's a matter of slowing down so he can concentrate on the main idea of the sentence.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:21 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• (I am REALLY finding the character limitations here extremely annoying!)

Continued:
    Read, read, read...pick a word for him to say on each page. A book where a dog is the main character...have him say "dog" on each page...just to some practice with one word.

Try to stick to single syllable words when you can...again to slow down speech for him....
    TiccledBlue

• coach him to repeat what you say. One word at a time of course.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:28 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I think it's great that he's learning both languages. The fact that he understands both is great! As far as speaking them, I wouldn't worry too much. He's got a few more words to master than most kids! But I agree with the others, try using just one word while doing your daily routine. For ex. while in the bath, emphasize one word, like water. Repeat that word while you pour water . Encourage him to say it. Also do songs and fingerplays with him. The singsong voice and rhymes help kids learn to talk and if he hears the same song or fingerplay often, he'll be able to anticipate which words are next. I'd also recommend finding a playgroup with other kids his age. Being with other kids will encourage him to talk as well. Good luck amigo!!
    usa29

Answer by usa29 at 10:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2008