Does a church donate you actual money if you ask?

I don't want them to think I'm a bum but my DH has been layed off for 6-7 weeks now and unemployment is backed up and not sending him money. I'm having to stay with my parents and my dad is layed off because his job closed down and my mom is working at a little cafe that pays not so good. So they are having a hard time supporting us too. I had $175 in my purse at Christmas I was saving for a bill we have to pay and it got stolen. I'm pretty sure I know who did it. My 13 year old cousin has stole over $200 from my mom before. He came home with them after christmas while me and DH were already asleep. My purse was in the living room, so was he. But the problem is he won't tell the truth if he did take it and he will hide it so there's no telling how long he will keep it. It was the only money I had on me. As much as i'd feel humiliated asking for money like that I think it's my only choice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Money & Work

• From my past experience, best to ask from the congregation, and not directly from the church. Churches themselves are very needy too and depend on congregation donation.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 3:50 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I think if you belong there then go talk to the pastor. If it is a bigger church like I attend then they have a financial person to go to. I know the one church depending on circumstances make you take a financial class the second time around.

Also with unemployment has he been able to file? Have they sent him any feedback? Most are doing it only online due to the increase. I know the State of Ohio is almost out of money but by law since they taxed the employers for that funding they are required to find it somewhere.

Depending on the bill you maybe able to seek resources from other sources if the church is unable to.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 6:43 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Small churches often operate differently than larger ones. Are you a member of a church? I would have not problem asking my pastor if I were a regular attender. If not, call a larger church that has special programs for needy families. They will likely ask many questions, b/c they have to be accountable to the contributors as to how they dispense their money. Try not to be offended b/c many people ask money from churches and they just don't have the funds to hand out indiscriminately. Have you applied for TANF? Also food stamps? What about WIC?
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• continued...At the same time, DH and yourself can apply at your State's unemployment agency that offers employment assistance. I draw UE every year at the end of tax season and they have long lists of excellent jobs with pay that isn't too shabby. If they don't have what field you are in, they will offer classes, which is a great time to learn something new. Hope this helps and gives you some ideas. The one good thing about America is that there is always a way. ;)
    lifeasinoit

• Try a food pantry... they help out with food or food stamps you can apply for directly on-line in NY... I wish you and your family the best of luck...Don't be afraid to ask for help from a church, depending on the church though on what they hand out.. you would have to talk to them. Good luck.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I am sorry bu the catholic church is not needy they can help you out.I know because my aunt donates her time to that charity.They will help you with first and last months rent.They will also help with two bills that need to get paid.Why don't you open up a checking account?As simple as that.What state do you live in?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2009