WTF IS WRONG?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

My 18 m/o son keeps waking up at least once every night SCARED! Or at least REALLY upset. At first I thought it was cause of the new baby but she is a couple months now and he shouldn't be getting worse. Is it growing pains or teething? Night terrors? Nightmares? Any advice would be GREAT! I am freaking out cause I don't know what's wrong!!!!!!!!!!

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 4:34 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hi my name is Ashley i have a 24month old son named Joshua and he had the SAME problem when he was that age I brought him to the doctor and they said night tares....its very common between like 16months-3-4yrs my son grew outta them after a few months but, every once and a great while he'll still have one...nothing to worry about they told me when they are having one to just comfort them or use something that comforts them ( blankie, teddy bear, bottle exc.) I hope that helps....
    Ashley2323

Answer by Ashley2323 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• If he's crying/screaming, etc but you CANNOT wake him up...it's night terrors. We went through it with two of our sons. There isn't really anything to be done (that I know of)....it does pass. It's about the same age as my boys, too....

Now...if he's to the point where as soon as you walk in the room, it could be he did have the terrors, but now it's kind of a habit...and he's doing it so you will come to him. (or...just that he is doing it so you'll come to him) If that's it, then you need to decide how you will handle it. I know some moms are against crying it out at any age...but if it is just so you will come in, it's a habit you need to break somehow.

Nightmares....obviously scared and awake when you get to him...all you can do is comfort him and help him back into bed.

By all means...talk to the pediatrician and see what s/he says!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Night terrors and its something all toddlers go thru for some odd reason. Its a phase. Instead of picking him up when he does this, just pat his back or butt to see if he will go back to sleep. It may not last long and it might last a while. All are different. Sleep when you can.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:45 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• If it isn't night terrors it could be because he is sleeping weird and his arm/leg is falling asleep. That's what was happening to my youngest. She would wake up every single night just freaking out. We couldn't figure out what was wrong with her and after a few minutes she would calm down and go back to sleep just to repeat a few hours later. One day I went in there and noticed how she was sleeping...with her arm tucked under her body and it made me think how much that would hurt. We figure her arm was falling asleep and she would wake up with the pricklies and not understand that.
    Around 2 she started having nightmares...about balloons. She LOVES balloons but is terrified of them once they start to deflate and hates to have them in her room so she would freak out about them constantly.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:58 AM on Dec. 31, 2008