• In the Spotlight:

Funeral procession

How long do you or should you stay pulled over for a funeral procession?

I had one pass me yesterday and I pulled over. It was a pretty long line of cars, easily 30 or so. The cars ahead of me continued driving after about 10 or so cars passed, but I stayed put until I thought the line was finished. Apparently either some people weren't using their lights or other traffic was mixed in because I kept passing more of the procession. I didn't pull back over and kind of felt bad, but I would have stopped about 5 times before I was positive it was over.

Silvertears1275

Asked by Silvertears1275 at 7:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• To be honest I don't pass a whole lot of funeral processions, but the ones I have passed have the purple funeral flags on top of the cars along with police escorts. I'll never forget though, during my dad's funeral procession, watching cars pull over to the side and there were four old men sitting outside in chairs in their front yards and when the hearse passed by, they stood up and removed their hats and bowed their heads. These men didn't even know my father and I thought that was so kind and thoughtful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I always stop until it's obvious the funeral procession is over..but some people don't keep their lights on so it may be hard to tell.
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 7:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• And then there are the daytime running lights that we have. I wait till I know the family has passed out of respect for them, that way I know its ok.When about 5 cars have passed the obvious family car, I go too.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 7:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Most long processions will have a police escort to block busy intersections with traffic lights, and USUALLY family members will have a flag or magnet on their car that says "Funeral" on it--especially the last car.

Family members are instructed by the funeral home to drive close together. When in doubt it's appropriate to wait until you're SURE the line has passed. Some people don't pull over for Ambulances--so the general public isn't always a good barometer to go by! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• The funeral cars here have Funeral Flags on them. The police stop traffic at intersections & also lead the procession & everyone stays in line together. My cousin died recently, 400 people at the funeral....you can imagine the line of cars. I appreciated that people pulled over & let the procession pass smoothly down the road without problems. I think you did fine because you assumed the line was finished.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:06 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• We have police that escort processions in our town so we always know when it starts and ends. I always wait until I see the last officer. If there is no last officer which sometimes happens, then I wait until the line is over. In our state people turn on their headlights or hazards as they make their way along so we know they are with the funeral.

Answer by gemgem at 8:21 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• That was something I learned before I started driving - that it's the law to wait until the last car in the funeral procession has passed - even if that means waiting through your green light. I always take those few seconds (since I'm waiting anyway) to say a little prayer for those involved. I've had people honk at me, too. But those are the rules, folks. I'm sure we would all like the same respect when it's our turn to bury a loved one.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:28 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I have noticed that in our small town we stay pulled over until the entire procession has past...
    But while in the bigger cities, thou we pull over and wait, others do not and even cut throu them... it's awful sometimes.... a few cities (don't know which ones exactly here in MI) have ban them all together bc of dangerous drivers....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:16 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My daughter passed away a few years ago and I live in a small town with only one traffic light.. but the funeral home people have those things that change the lights... well this idiot decided to try to go between the funeral home car and MY car at the lights! There was a HUGE line of cars going with us obviously and this guy was too impatient to wait.. so the guy that was in charge of the whole thing stopped..got out of his car.. and SCREAMED at the guy for being so inconsiderate. People are just idiots sometimes.. definately wait until everyone has gone by.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I believe it is the law here in MI to wait for the last car. Usually you can tell because they have the flags on top of their cars to symbolize they are part of the procession.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2008