• In the Spotlight:

Did i have the right or does she have a reason to be pissed (about a child)

Ok my friend came over with her little girl cause i was to watch her while she worked for a few hours She has a 1 year old. I myself have a 7 month old and a 3 yr old. She gave me a bag she said that had her lunch in it. Well an hour went by and it was 12 and i sat everyone down for lunch i got my baby some sweet potatoe and my oldest a ham and cheese sandwich with some raisens. I took out the little girls bag and there was a frozen chicken patty and bag of powdered donuts and a bad of doritos and one of those juices that are like $1 for 6 of them (super sugary!!!!) i DID NOT feed it to her i could not imagine feeding my children that so i put it in her bag and gave her the same as my 3 yr old. After her mom picked her up she called up asking why i didn't give her daughter food. I told i would never feed a child what she gave her 1 year old! she got pissed and has not talk to me since. was i in the right or wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd say you were right, that's disgusting. Poor baby.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 8:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• You were wrong. It isnt your child and you were hired to watch her child and she provided her food. I would have told her you would give her food that you gave your own children so the kids ate the same things. It isnt your job to correct someone elses parenting skills.

Answer by gemgem at 8:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Her child, her choice.

Were you wrong to give her other food...not so much. However, I would have simply said that the daughter wanted what you had given your 3 year old..yeah..lied.

But I think what she is angry about is the "I would never feed a child....." comment. That judgmental kind of a comment would make me angry as well. I mean...it could have simply been a special treat since she was going to be away from her normal routine...it could have been that was all the mom had on hand until she got to the store...and even if it was a normal kind if diet for the girl, she's not your child.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:18 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• yea i have to say that you were right for being concerned but then again it is not your child and you don't have the right to tell someone else what to feed their child. i would have given her the chicken pattie thrown the rest away and given her something else if you weren't going to give her what was in the bag but i would not have sent it back home with her.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I would say you are totally in the right. Just out of curiosity, did you tell her what you did give her? From how you worded it, she sounded like she thought you did not feed her daughter at all.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:24 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Well this is a good issue. But I would have worded different. I would have said. Your DD wanted what my kids were having . So she ate that instead of what you brought. People wonder why kids are overweight. Junk food. lol
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 8:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i see where i was in the wrong...yes VBONGARD i did tell her that i fed her what my daughter ate. But the poor child weighs more than my 3 yr old! i just couldn't feed it to her and i felt someone had to tell her instead of just letting it slide one more time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• It doesnt matter what you thought about her choice of food for her child. That is her child not yours. It also sounds like her lunch was bought on the fly. Maybe shes a single mom who cannot afford more then that or was in a hurry. It doesnt mean you have the right to change the childs eating habits even if you think the mother was wrong. Then giving her the food you did and making comments on the mothers parenting skills who I can only guess was paying you to babysit and you have to ask why she was pissed? Heres the thing maybe the kid has allergies and you could have given her something she cant eat. Obviously you didnt but I know parents who cannot give their kids raisins or peanut butter or things like that. SO no you didnt have a right to do what you did, and your statement to the mom was judgemental and wrong. I would never use you again, talk to you again, and I would tell other moms what you said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• to the person above.....she has been a friend for 8 yrs, shes a drug addict she has a husband they spend all their money on drugs,,,Her own grandma refuses to take care of the girl..I DID IT FOR FREE and she just got her daughter taken away (thank god)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i think you were right you were the one watching her and once she got all hyper on sugar you were going to be the one dealing with her. i don't see what the big deal is.. she's the one that saved her food for another day. :) she should have been more considerate about loading her up on sugar at a babysitters house.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2008