Can I cook a frozen cornish hen and have it be ready for dinner tonight??

I would like to put it in the crock pot!!!

Mommygoose

Asked by Mommygoose at 8:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Food & Drink

• If you're putting it/them in the crock pot anyway, just throw it/them in frozen. They'll thaw & cook just fine, it just takes a little longer. Put the cp on high right away, make sure there's liquid in the bottom. I always put my meat in my cp frozen, and it always comes out nice. I know for a good sized roast it takes 3-4 hours longer than cooking from thawed. So for a frozen hen like that I'd add close to 2 extra hours to your normal cook time. No thawing required :o).
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:28 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• If you have a microwave then yes. Just put the hen in the microwave on defrost for about 13-15 minutes and see if its thawed out. If not add more time until it is. Then clean it like you normally would and put in the crock pot.

Answer by gemgem at 8:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• run it under cool water and I think you should be fine.. I dont like the microwave for chicken or cornish game hens..
    aapye

Answer by aapye at 10:23 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Just put them in cold water in your sink for a couple hours.. they'll defrost. Thats what we always do.
    MistyAB

Answer by MistyAB at 10:32 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I always cook food in the crockpot straight out of the freezer, so I do not see why putting a frozen cornish hen in wouldn't be fine.
    Kristen2679

Answer by Kristen2679 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Just put it straight into the crock on high...it will take a little longer, but not a lot since game hens are so small.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2008