Where do I start with potty training?? I'm taking a week this summer to potty train my son and my niece at the same time (they are both almost 2). They both have potty chairs...but I don't know where to start...help!

Potty Training 2 year old boy and girl

mylilbuckaroo

Asked by mylilbuckaroo at 2:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Okay, so I saw this thing on the Today Show. When I first saw it I thought it was horrible, but they had an expert on and said it was a good thing. OF course put them in "big girl/boy panties". And explain to them that when they need to go to the potty here it is. (show them) DO NOT ASK THEM when they need to go because then they dont feel in control of their body and will rebel. So, what you do is the first day give your child salty foods..it makes them thirsty and in return they drink more. Also, if you give them more sugary drinks it makes them drink more, now I'm not saying give them a can of Mountain Dew.But the big this if they have accidents you make them clean it up. (I saw it and hated it, but they say it makes them realize its nasty and they dont want to do it) But when they mess up.. dont yell or anything just make them clean it. When they do go in the potty give them something special. Just do this until they get a hang of it. Hope I can help out.. Let me know how it goes.
    sarah.south33

Answer by sarah.south33 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• hi, just wanted to respond to the answer above. That's a great idea, but if your little ones are only almost two, they're not quite old enough for that method. The lady that does that only does it with toddlers 2 and a half and up. Here's the address to the article if you're interested

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25057503/
    turtle79

Answer by turtle79 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• now that it is the summer-this is the easiest time-less clothing. while ur baby sits on the potty give him and her their favorite book to read.-YES!most children fear the potty-they dont understand their body is getting rid of waste.they think a part of their body is falling off-dont laugh talk to ur pediatrition.both my children were trained within weeks doing it this way,by being distracted, they dont realize they have gone!don't get upset-at first there will be accidents. and when they say they have to go-it is immediate! hopefully each has their own potty with a little table top-let them color,read, anything to accually keep their mind off THE DEED they r doing
    ladylindasue

Answer by ladylindasue at 3:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008