becoming a young lady ,what do i tell her??

my daughter is already showing signs of becoming a young lady. like her breast are already growing,(she is only 10) im blushing just typing this, my question is, she always wants to wear see thru shirts, i want to let her know that she is growing up now but i dont want to scear her , can someone give me any ideas on what to say to her? thanks

kittykatt6708

Asked by kittykatt6708 at 8:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Well i haven't gone through them stages yet probably because i have 5 boys and they are all to young but you will know when she is growing up, it's when she has her period that automatically tells every girl they are growing up and becoming a young woman and periods helps girls more than people think it Make's them feel grown up and then you will be ready to talk to her.

Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 8:57 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• just explain to her that she is becoming a lady... not being mean or anything but is it her breasts are devoloping or is she just on the heavy side? thats something to consider also. either way.. have her wear a cami under her shirts with a built in bra if you don't want her to start wearing training bras yet.. that way she'll have the support and cover up she needs and won't think anything of it and can still wear what she wants.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Tell her the truth. Its nice to think that a child can remain that way forever, but the more she knows now the less she'll rely on faulty information from her friends. Trust me she's already talked to them about it. Does she know what Google is?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Oh you have got to have this talk with her.. Mostly because you want her to know the truth. Shes not dumb to whats going on, so likely shes already curious. My daughter is also 10 and we had to force her to wear an undershirt. She has the TINY little bumps. When she saw herself, she quickly put on the tank bra that I had bought for her because she became self conscious about it. IT hasn't been an issue since. I HIGHLY reccomend the book "the care and keeping of you". Its an american girl book and its awesome! It really speaks on their level and helps them understand. There are some things that you might want to discuss with her or just hold back until she ready but the body changes section will be great for her. Good luck. I ve been here.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Layering thin shirts is very popular (I'm hoping that's why so many stores are selling practically see through thickness of T's and tanks!) If she's not too heavy to wear that look, I'd get her a bunch of mix and match tops. Cami's are also wonderful & nearly all have built in "support". I bought bras for my breastless teens when they had to start changing shirts for P.E. class. They wore them sporatically until they felt they wanted to. Now at 15 one of my girls wears colored bras that show the strap (ick - but it's "in"). Basically, don't get too worked up. Offer her choices, make it as natural as any of your other shopping, and be thankful that you can be open with her.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 10:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Have an open conversation with her and be honest about it. My 13 yr old is surpassing me @ that same age in the bra size. When she started to have "buds" we sat down and I explained to her everything I knew and how it was for me when I was growing up and going thru the same things as her. When she told me that she thought she had started her monthly cycle- either you do or you don't- there isn't a question of maybe on that one! We talked about all the options out there and about the birds and the bees... Now it the time if you don't already have it in place to have an very open line of communication with her. Make it so she will come to you with all the questions and anything else for that matter and know you are there to support her and help her to make the best possible decisions she can.
    NEMom521

Answer by NEMom521 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Take her on a mother/daughter shopping trip. What girl doesn't want to go shopping? Buy a few new shirts, but also include some new, WAY COOL, bras. If she doesn't want a "regular" bra then try the sports bras. They make tons of different colors and prints in bras these days for little girls.

You also need to explain what's happening to her body, but the new clothes will make it much better.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 5:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• im 18 and please do me a favor and be straight forward with her dont beat around the bush because that will just confuse her
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2009