What would you do about a baby book that was begun in 1967 and is getting worn and ruined?

My mom filled in a baby book for me and added photos using scotch tape, which has yellowed considerably. Many of the photos on one page are disintegrating, which I am assuming is from the type of film/ink used to create the photos.

I would love to preserve the baby book without losing it's "essence," but don't know how to go about doing it. I would like to keep all the photos and my mother's handwriting on all the pages, as well as the front cover.

Are there any suggestions that you can make for me?
I am an idiot when it comes to crafts, so please explain what you would do if you were in my place.

Your suggestions and comments are most appreciated.
Thank you.

PS: My mom died when I was a child so preserving her handwriting is very important to me as I have very little to remember her by.

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 9:09 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I am not very creative but I would take the photos off and start a scrapbook. You can just get some like pages from like michaels or hobby lobby or some craft store. You could cut where your mom wrote and put it on the page with the pictures. And you could also put the front cover on a page and be able to have it. I hope this helps a little. Good Luck!
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 9:22 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• You can buy this book it shows you how to preserve your own baby book and even ideas on how to keep your childrens kept in tact.
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&ISBN=9781891406362&ourl=Your-Baby-Treasures-Time-Capsule%2FJanet-E-Reinhold

Answer by gemgem at 9:24 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Depending on just how fragile it is, you could also use a scanner to put it on the computer.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:57 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I would take each page out, put new tape where it's yellowed and place them onto some nice paper in a scrap book. Maybe even add a little to it as I went.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• U need special protective plastic if u want to stop the disinegration process.U can call a scrapbook store and ask them about protective sheets that you cover the pages with.Usually it isn't the ink-it is just damage from sun,moisture,dust,mold etc.good luck and scan them if u can to copy them.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:18 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I can certainly understand how precious it is to preserve something that once belonged to a loved one that has past away, because I lost my mom also. What I suggest you do is try to scan the pictures and cut or tear the areas the she wrote on. They don't have to be perfectly cut, because what makes a scrapbook unique is the torn look. Begin by scanning the photos, but make sure you have a good photo software. Then take those pieces of messages you tore from the album and paste them to a card stock or decorative scrapbook paper. Once you have those pictures scanned clean up the yellow color. Then start printing them. If you go to my website www.craftycreations.stampinup.net you can see some ideas there.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 1:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• get a scanner and scan the pic's and then put it on a readwiterable so you can use the cd again or just burn it. arange you book the way you want it then take it to walmart or you could see if snapshop can help you on a new book
    ksqueen

Answer by ksqueen at 10:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2009