• In the Spotlight:

My 4 month old daughter is constantly biting her hand and anything she can get in her mouth.

I think she may be getting teeth but dont feel anything in her mouth. Her Dad has big teeth and allot of them. Are babies in pain before there actual teeth come in? Cant figure out why she does this all the time. While she does this she gets mad sometimes. Ive tried feeding her more but thats not it. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

peace4mama

Asked by peace4mama at 9:17 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is teething. My son is teething, too and he does that. She will get cranky and drools a lot.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Sounds just like my daughter lol. At that age thats what they do is put stuff in their mouth. When my daughter started teething I couldn't feel nothing till it really started to come through. She was cranky for about 2 weeks and finally I felt the tooth coming through. The doctor said he felt them at her 4 month apointment! Shes 6 months now and she got one... he had said one on bottom one on top... so now we are waiting to see if that top pops out soon lol. If shes cranky try a little oragel on the front gums.... if that doesn't help try a little baby tylenol... if that doesn't work then its probably not teething but just her way of playing. But if shes just getting mad sometimes my guess is shes playing and just getting fusrated with not getting the toy in the mouth the way she wants or something like that.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 9:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• my dd chewed on EVERYTHING for about a month before her teeth came in, but didn't seem to be in too much pain otherwise (i wasn't really sure she was teething until her bottom tooth came in - followed a few days later by the other) she also seemed frustrated! most teething things were a little too big for her mouth, and she wasn't very good at holding it in her mouth on her own. she's 5 months and about a week right now, so yours could definatly be teething. it bothers some more than others.
    ariel08

Answer by ariel08 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Sounds like she is def. teething. But that doesnt mean that the teeth will come through in the next couple days. It can take forever sometimes until they will come through.
    Give her whatever she wants to chew on. And its normal that she will get mad, because she doesnt know how to handle this pain. Give her big cuddles and maybe you should try oragel on her gums. that will numb it a little.

i wish you good luck.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 9:40 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• she's teething. all my kids did that. my youngest started at three months. my oldest still buts everything in her month
    BJLakso

Answer by BJLakso at 10:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• my daughter has been doing the same thing for about 3 weeks. It is MY belief (which may be wrong.. I don't know) that they can feel the teeth coming long before they pop through. I don't think it really hurts because they usually dont get fussy until a couple days before the tooth comes through (like my daughter is doing now.. come on teeth!) There's nothing wrong with baby eating everything tho, have you tried those teethers that you put in the freezer?? My daughter doesn't like them cuz she hates the cold, but I know lots of kids that love to chew on those things, it numbs the gums a bit and makes it more comfortable. Good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I would say teething too. But like a PP said, it can take a while for the tooth to show up. My son started teething @ 4 months. He is now 7 months and the edge of his first tooth is just now coming through.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 31, 2008