what has helped sleeping mostly though the night?

i'm trying to get my 5 month old to sleep more (bad night she gets up 4 or 5 times). i'd like her to wake up once, then go from there. she's BF, might be teething, but i don't think that's the cause of it. what has worked for you? i'm not totally against CIO (within reason) but so far that hasn't really helped much...

ariel08

Asked by ariel08 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cosleeping. Well, I guess technically she still wakes up in the night but I consider it sleeping through the night if she doesn't get up to play. She wakes just enough to latch on and goes back to sleep.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• my daughter just started sleeping thru the night on her own. We do botle feed, and give her cereal in her bottle before bed, but I think she just likes to sleep!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Try the No Cry Sleep Solution(it's a book). My son is older but he was really set in his ways and it got him sleeping all night within days.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• When my son was 5 months old he was BF. now he's 8 months and on food and formula. Anyway, try a nightly ritual and stick to it. Here is what worked for me when my son was 5 months. look at what time your last feeding is before you put baby to bed. About 30 mins before that time give the baby a nice warm bath. Let him/her sit in the water and splash for a little, use some kind of lavendar soap- this is very calming. After the bath rub lotion on the baby like a mini massage. It may take your baby a few times to get used to this... do this in a low lite room as well. Dress your baby and then start to BF.
    theDavis3

Answer by theDavis3 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Swaddle the baby(this will do wonders) Make sure you have the room dark (ect for a light so you can see) and feed. After that when you lay your baby down make sure that you have some kind of white noise running. We use an air filter and a woombear. Have you tried some infant tylonel for the teeth? This will help if you still are having problems. Also- if you continue to have problems you may want to start feeding some baby rice (mixed with Breast Milk) before the bath. If your baby is 5 months old then he/she can start on some rice cereal. This will start to hold through the night. Good luck!
    theDavis3

• My daughter didn't start sleeping well until I put her on her tummy to go to sleep. After that she just slept and slept, she was sleeping through the night at 7 weeks.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• When my son was 8 months old I decided I wanted to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time.

For the very first time, I let him CIO when he woke up. I told myself, if he cries for longer than 5 min, I'll go nurse him back to sleep.
    He fussed for about 2 minutes before falling asleep on his own. We repeated this for about 3 nights. Then he would sleep the whole night through. 8 blissful uninterrupted hours of sleep.
    (unless he had a nightmare... then I would go to him right away, he has a different cry when he's scared than when he's just tired and cranky, so I knew when I absolutely needed to go to him.)
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• If the baby is too old to swaddle, which I think she is at 5 months, try the Magic Sleepsuit. I used with my baby and it works great. You can find a lot of information about it at www.magicsleepsuit.com.
    Anonymous

• my son is almost 9 months old and we still swaddle him. We also put the removable foam headreast in the crib. this is the only way he'll sleep through the night
    bttrfly8605

Answer by bttrfly8605 at 2:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2009