My baby boy is 4 months now and the doc told me to start him on cereal but how?I'm not sure how much you are suppose to feed them? and do you feed them it in a bowl or in the bottle?(sorry I have no family to help me with all these questions its just my husband and I) thank you for all your answers!!

I'm starting my 4month old on cereal but I'm not sure if its better to feed them cereal in the bottle or in a bowl and how much do you feed them?

NicolePB

Asked by NicolePB at 10:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you are supposed to give him just a little bit of very watery (milky) cereal on a baby spoon. The first few times he may spit it out or only take a few bits. This is very normal as he has never had any solid food before. It can be dangerous to put it in a bottle since he could choke, but may parents do.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 10:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• This is what I did. I started with a cereal bottle... the V shaped nipple... and just made up a regular bottle and then added in 3 scoops to begin with... and I did it every other day to begin with then after she was not constipated or anything started everyday and now we've worked up to 5 scoops of cereal (I use the same scoop I use for formula) And just a FYI you are probably going to get a lot op people freaking out because your baby is not 6 months old yet OMG FREAK OUT. Mine was 3 months when she started... the doctor gave the thumbs up so that what I went off of... every baby develops differently!
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:09 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• The poster who said not to use bottles... they do tell you not to do that. Which I can see why...but my daughter did fine with it. She chokes on her juice though? I guess I just kind of figured they make the bottles for a reason why not give them a try. My friend actually fed her 6 months old babyfood out of a cereal bottle because he wouldn't take a spoon... I thought that was a little weird and possibly maybe a little lazy and unpatient lol but every mom mothers differently! But shes right they do tell you to not use the bottle!
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• SPOON..Never ever a bottle..it takes time to learn how to do the spoon thing but its better in the long run..this way he learns the differencebetween milk and food.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Spoon, that is so they can learn to eat. Read the directions on the box. Don't do it in the bottle, if you're not sure call your pedi instead of asking here.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• my daughter started with a tablespoon of cereal in her nighttime bottle when she was 3 months. By 4 months she was taking 2-3 tablespoons in every bottle. At 4 months we started by putting about a tablespoon of cereal into a bowl and mixing with formula. I don't like using water cuz the formula gives it some nutritional value (rice by itself has very little), but mixing with water is ok too. You want the cereal to be a bit runny at first, but stay on the spoon!! LOL Start with small amounts cuz he probably won't eat a lot to start with. Babies have to learn how to eat.. how to get the food from the front of their mouth to the back. It might take a couple weeks, but keep practicing, we do it once a day. When baby gets comfortable eating cereal, you can increase the amounts to whatever he will eat, and add baby food, just one type a week to watch for allergies tho! Good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My pediatrician told me to never put any food in a bottle. We mixed about a tablespoon of rice cereal with probably 4-6 tablespoons of warm formula (you can use breast milk if you are breastfeeding). Mix it pretty watery at first and gradually thicken it after the baby gets used to it. Put just a little bit on a baby spoon. Don't force it, but keep offering it at about the same time every day. Your baby may take a while before he does anything but spit it back out, but one day he will catch on.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:23 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My baby boy is just turned 4mo and we are starting him to, we put lots of milk in with the cereal and put whatever amount of cereal because if he does'nt eat much then his brother will have the rest.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 10:28 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Spoon. The idea with cereal and baby food is for them to learn to EAT....not drink mush.

Read the directions on the side of the box. If I remember correctly, the brand I used gave guidelines for starting out and mixing. I suggest mixing with formula or breastmilk (whichever you're using) instead of water when you decide to start.

Some babies need it thin at first, then you can thicken it as the baby gets better at it. Mine, however...well, the younger two anyway...had to have it thick or they wouldn't touch it! Even in the beginning!

I also suggest as you're starting food...to start giving in at meal time. When you eat, he eats. It's just easier (to me) to have meal times set from the beginning and not have to change things again later.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• you should introduce solids when baby shows signs of readiness.
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html

when you do introduce cereal it's important to do so with a spoon. not only is cereal in a bottle a choking hazard but it also allows baby's tummy to become full without the act of eating(chewing/swallowing.)
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:43 AM on Dec. 31, 2008